Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The speedometer and odometer stop working, my ABS light and…

The speedometer and odometer...

The speedometer and odometer stop working, my ABS light and engine light came on with the O/D off light flashing. ant ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just abs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 ranger xlt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like too if possible

3/25/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, there are a couple of possible causes - the abs speed sensor that is located at top of the rear differential pumpkin, the output speed sensor located at transmission tailshaft if 2wd and at the rear of transfer case if 4wd, or very slim possibility of abs control module

My advice is to have it scanned for fault codes which will tell which is at fault and then replace the part. Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts store and they will scan it for free and tell you which of the above it is.

I can say that at least 70% of the time it is the sensor mounted at top of rear diff. Easy to replace. Crawl underneath to the rear diff pumpkin and look at the top of it and you will see a single sensor bolted to it. Disconnect the harness connector to it, remove the single retaining bolt and remove and then install new one.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Unless you have a further question on this, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Unless you have a further question on this, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
It was good advise.

Glad to help.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager