Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1979 Ford F-250 cranks but does not start. I looked in the…

1979 Ford F-250 cranks...

1979 Ford F-250 cranks but does not start. I looked in the carburetor throat and it is not getting fuel? Possible solutions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

It has fresh gas, and when I driobbled some gas into the carburetor, it fired but would not run.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. It has spark because it will fire with starting fluid or gas. I pulled the fuel filter and looked at the fuel line-it is not getting gas to the carburetor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it. Just wanting to know what to check before I start buying things like a fuel pump.

3/25/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is going to be a bad fuel pump, the easiest way to check it is to remove the fuel line from the carb, and put it in a glass jar, then crank it over and see if fuel squirts out the line, have you tried this yet?

I tried that. No fuel squirts out!

then you hve a bad fuel pump, and it will need to be replaced,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim

Thank you Tim! There are no electronics involved are there? I checked all the fuses, all good. There is just the mechanical fuel pump?

No, it is completely mechanical, replace the fuel pump,Tim

OK Tim, just covering all the bases!

No worries my friend, please take the time to rate me, thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH