Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 08 f250 6.4 powerstroke it has a egr an dpf delete…

I have a 08...

I have a 08 f250 6.4 powerstroke it has a egr an dpf delete about 30000 miles ago the truck lost power the turbo just went halfway up so I cleaned air filter an changed fuel filtersystem seemed to take care of it till about 10000 miles age did same thing just it was worse then I change fuel filters an cleaned the air filter took care of it again now it lost power again so I changel fuel filters again an got a new air filter an after that the truck has off an on power

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuate

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

I bought the truck with 95000 an it has 135000 now I never did anything with the turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not nothing beside the fuel filter change an air filter change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck never lost power when it was cold it's always when it's hot then the power Fluctuates

3/25/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

H​ello my name is ***** ***** the computer been tested for any trouble codes?

Has the fuel pressure been tested?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no problem there
Has anyone looked at the pids map, baro, ebp to see if they are all within a .5 psi of each other?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no

You have not?

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't but I usually take to my mechanic to scan

Ok I suspect you may have a EBP sensor that is skewed when hot, there are so many things that will cause this engine to lack power i will name the most popular we see. EBP is probably number one, could be EOT going too high when hot, when this happens the power is reduced, could also be a fuel related code that make is go into a derate mode. Since your truck is deleted I don't know if the check engine light would come for any of these faults since the aftermarket writes their own program for the PCM. But I would look at EBP first, this is the most common we see.

If you have more questions just ask, all I ask, is you take the time to rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott. You can always ask follow up questions after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Were is the ebp sensor an how do I test the fuel pressure

EBP is located on drivers side directly behind and below the fuel cooler, it is attached to a remote tube. The low fuel pressure test port is a shrader valve located on top of fuel cooler, the pressure on the low side should be 3-8 psi under load, the high pressure system is monitored with a scan tool since the pressure is so high.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I changed the ebp an eot sensors still doesn't work I did not yet check the fuel pressure what do u mean by 3-8 psi under load

The fuel pressure should maintain 3-8 psi under wide open throttle load while driving.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Checked fuel pressure it is consistent at 10 an under load it is 10-13

When you measured it, was the vehicle acting up, having lack of power, or was it running ok?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It acted up an the fuel stayed consistent

Ok have the turbo's been checked? Check the fins, make sure there isn't a bunch of end play in the shafts?

Did this vehicle have troubles codes that are setting?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Turbos have not been checked. I had a boost turbo charger fault 2 month ago I cleared it an there was no fault since

Is this a stock tune in the PCM?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I don't know

I would say at this point you need to check the fins on the turbo and check the shafts for end play and see if there any damage or wear that you can see. I would also have the PCM reflashed to the latest calibration, the later calibration's were better at setting a fault code. After programming it may set a code that is relevant to your concern which may make it easier to diagnose.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Fins look fine no wear or damage there is no end to end play but there is a fraction of side to side play ok on wat do I have to do or were do I go to do the pcm thing

Any ford dealer can do the update, also you can have them scan the trucks pids while driving to see if there is a sensor out of range when the truck is lacking power also.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok

Let me know what you find, thanks Scott

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok thank you

No problem

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I went to the Ford dealership today we're I bought the truck turns out the egr is not deleted an they also said the truck has some kind of programmer but I don't have the thing to plug into the truck so they didn't update anything the computer they said that might make things worse they advised me to delete the egr an get a new proggrammer

O​k, so are you going to buy a programmer and try that? I guarantee if your truck came to our dealer, we would have told you to diagnose this we would have to put it back to stock, lol. Must be a laid back dealership. But hey that's ok. If it was mine it would be deleted, with head studs with a programmer also.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok just found out a relative of mine knows what he's doing with proggrammers so he's going to delete the egr an set up the programmer he said efi live is the best one does he know what he's talking about?

I hope so, because I have very little experience with aftermarket programmers, I have only set up my buddies truck once or twice, and it was really easy, just answer some questions and we were done, pretty fast install on his. Seemed to work good also.

I just don't remember the name of his that he used.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok well I guess I'm gonna try that hopefully it works

Ok, let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok an this just came in to play so when we got the truck the dpf exhaust was deleted so would whoever it was have had to put a proggrammer in for that and if they did we don't have the proggrammer I'm usuming mabe they dealer ditched it cause I was told it's illegal for them to sell a deleted truck that said can I put in another proggrammer stacking it on top of the one that's already in the truck?

Y​es you can because the new program deletes out the old one.

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician