Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The wrench light came on when i push down on the gas it

Customer Question
The wrench light came...

The wrench light came on when i push down on the gas it takes a min to speed up

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It is a warning and it is yellow and in the shape of a wrench

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing i was driving home and it appeared

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Ford Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
The wrench light can mean anything from the vehicle needing routine maintenance, too there actually being a transmission or engine fault or deficiency.For me to really help tell you exactly what is wrong you're going to need to hook an OBD2 scan tool to the vehicle and get me the fault codes that are in memory. Please give me the fault code numbers and not the descriptions that the scan tool gives you because those are generic descriptions that are the same regardless of whether or not you're driving a Lamborghini or a Ford Focus.Does your vehicle have an automatic or manual transmission? What model Mini do you have, including which engine?If you give me that information I can probably point you in the right direction.You going to want to use an OBD2 scan tool that has the capability of reading real-time sensor values, I want you to read the mass air flow sensor values at idle and at 2000 RPM of the vehicle stationary.The vehicle should read about three and a half grams per second of air idle and 10 and a half gram per second of air at 2000 RPM.If you are scan tool gives the mass airflow sensor readings in a different scale you can just go to Google and type for example .8 kg/hr = ? Grams/sec or whatever and get the converted number and then compare it.If the mass airflow sensor is reading correctly at idle but reading low at 2000 RPM, then the mass airflow sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced.If the mass airflow sensor is reading low at idle but properly at 2000 RPM, then you have a vacuum leak.The most common issue that's going to cause what you're describing is going to be a faulty mass air flow sensor, or a boost leak if you have a supercharged or turbocharged version.It's also possible that the transmission could be in limp mode if it's an automatic, does it seem to not be shifting properly and be starting off in second gear?If I answer your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name is ***** ***** the only way that I am compensated for my time.Please don't hesitate to ask any follow-up questions, which you can do even after hitting accept.I realize I only gave you some general information, go ahead and give me the fault codes if it doesn't seem that I told you what is wrong or how to diagnose it from that info, I was just basically making an effort to solve your issue without any further diagnosis if possible based on the initial description in my experience.