Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All the lights work except my tail lights. F250 Super Duty…

All the lights work...

All the lights work except my tail lights. F250 Super Duty Diesel 2008 6.4 L.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes, they are good. I put new bulbs in, and connections are clean, nothing corroded. I c checked the wires all the way to the junction located by the spare tire, and all the connections are good. I don't see a fuse in the brake manual for the taillights. Signal lights, reverse light, everything works, but not he tail lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked the bulbs, wires, connections, and looked for the fuse which I didn't find.

3/25/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is this affecting both the front and rear parking/running lights or just the rear alone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just the rear parking/running lights. Thank you.

OKay, all parking lamps are on the same circuit. So if the front works, the rear should to. This means we need to find a wire break. Are you good at electrical testing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can test the wires, I don’t know if I’m good at it. I have a meter. I don’t know where to start with the harness. I did unplug the junction next to the spare tire, where the harness runs along the drivers side rail, and tested each lamp for continuity, but found nothing wrong there. As soon as I plug it back in, at the lamp terminal it shows a short to the ground. It seems that the problem is inside the harness from that junction running towards the cab. I’m not sure I was doing the testing right bc I was using a 3 pin light bulb socket and checking each one to the ground individually, and when I plug in the junction, every one of the three shows a short to the ground. I don’t know if that’s the right way to test it. The signal light on the same socket works.

Let's locate and test the first connector after the splice where the circuit goes to the front and rear lamps to see if we get parking lamp on power there.

Use this file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/omx33n18j73v561/133.png?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm checking this now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this the same wire that feeds the license lamps? The license plate lamps are working. The junction you are referring to, is it under the brake booster and the antifreeze reservoir? I see a split on the rail that goes to the fuel pump, and the next one is in the engine compartment. Under the anti-freeze reservoir tank - is that the one you are referring to?

Now knowing the license plate lights work, yes they are on the same circuit, that changes where we need to check. Does your truck have a rear video camera?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in the rear view mirror.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
camera works.

Locate connector 496

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjkridr2c75t6n1/496.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlyc3yrk1pizyc6/4961.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieuoup0gibx2qu5/4962.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o1zdwwjeun5w29/4963.png?dl=0

See if the violet/white wire has power on both sides of connector 496. If it does then confirm good ground to the lamps that are not working.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the information eventually led to the problem. The lights work now. Thank you very much!

Super

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician