Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2nd time car just randomly dies no power what so ever except…

2nd time car just...

2nd time car just randomly dies no power what so ever except the alarm keeps going off but the you open the door and push the start button nothing no power anywhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Happen twice n the last 4 months once while in car wash second time we went thru car wash then went to a movie when we cam out it was completely dead I had it towed home where it is now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2012 Ford Focus titanium

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I have had time to do was take the battery out and had it tested it came back good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Basically car won't start no power, but alarm still works Im thinking a short somewhere because it seems to happen after we go thru car wash

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

ok
Also the first time it happened I was able to get the car to start again by placing it in neutral, it is an automatic

Hello, if the battery is good and the connections are ok then I would suspect a possible issue with the transmission control module This may still be covered under warranty by ford. It is known to have many electrical issues and act like it has a dead battery and not have any response when turning on the key. You can contact your local dealer to check coverage or give me the 17 digit vin number and I can see if it still has an open extended coverage on it. It has to be programmed by a dealer for it to work.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
thats what I thought, the car is no longer in warranty, what is the average cost to get this fixed

If its out of the extended coverage,its a couple hundred bucks at a minimum for the TCM and probably another couple hundred to replace and program it. You can phone shop the price from a local dealer. Thank you