Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Truck won’t go in or come out of park, bought a shift lock…

Truck won’t go in...

Truck won’t go in or come out of park, bought a shift lock actuator can find where the piece goes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Break lights are good and no codes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2008 F150 lariat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

Do you have a volt meter and the ability to use it?

No volt meter
Vin : 1FTPW14V38FC14029
I have the part I just don’t know where it’s located

Your brake lamp switch has two separate circuits. One for brake lights, one for shift interlock. You can have a failure at the brake lamp switch and still have brake lamps.

First check fuse #16 (10 amps) in the interior fuse box. If that's good then disconnect the electrical connector from the brake lamp switch and use a small piece of wire or something to jump the tan wire with the red stripe to the pink wire with the light green stripe. At the point with the key on you should be able to move the shifter from park. If you can you need to replace the brake lamp switch. If you cannot and fuse is okay then it will be the shift interlock actuator.

Which part do you have?

Do you want the part number or the name

The name will work.

Shift lock actuator

Do you have a column shift or floor shifter?

I think floor shifter ... that’s the one by your legs to the right correct?

Yes, that is correct. Give me one moment while I look this up.

Okay thank you

I've attached a picture of the shifter assembly. #7 in this picture is the shift lock actuator. You will need to access the shifter to replace this. It is held in place by two bolts/screws.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Is there supposed to be a spark when jumping the two wires??

There would be a small one probably if the key was turned on when you jumped them, yes.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician