Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2010 f150 5.4 makes a rattle noise while acceralating…

Customer Question
My 2010 f150...

My 2010 f150 5.4 makes a rattle noise while acceralating between 1400 -1500 rpm on the drivers side front, what is possible cause of this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Since November of 2017. I just passenger side manifold replaced. The noise appears to drivers side front.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Ford?

F150 xlt 5.4 super cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not , I've google this issue & appears to be a guess as what cause the rattling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is specific to acceleration at 1400-1500 rpm

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/25/2018
Ford Mechanic: Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

Is your F-150 a 4X4?

When driving the truck and hearing the noise switch the 4x4 into 4x4 high and see if the noise goes away. I suspect it most likely will. Try that and let me know what happens.

Ok

I'm logging out for the night. If you reply I will be notified and get with you as soon as possible.

Vin-1ftfw1ev3afd51809, I drove it this morning & it made the sound like rocks Noam at 1400 rpm accel & I switched n 2 4 High & it stopped.

Great, that's what I thought. Give me just a moment.

Your 4x4 hubs are actuated by vacuum. The IWE (integrated wheel end) system is a vacuum system. When the engine is running vacuum is applied to a vacuum hub at each front wheel. With vacuum applied the hubs are disengaged. If the vacuum is not sufficient the vacuum hubs will start locking while driving. This is the noise you are hearing.

The most common problem for this is the IWE solednoid (I've attached a picture of this part). It will fail and not supply sufficient vacuum.

If one of the vacuum lines or hubs develops a vacuum leak then this will occur.

The only way to test this is with a handheld vacuum pump. You can disconnect the vacuum line to each hub and apply vacuum to each hub and see if they hold vacuum. If they do, you can block off the vacuum lines at the hubs and apply vacuum to the vacuum hose at the solenoid to see if the lines hold vacuum. If the hubs and lines hold vacuum then the problem is the IWE solenoid.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.