Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 ford escape xlt and I cannot seem to disable…

I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 ford escape xlt and I cannot seem to disable the mykey feature. I have followed the instructions on page 94 of the owner’s guide, and when I press SETUP I never get PRESS RESET TO CLEAR MYKEY in the display.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the instructions from the owner’s guide.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

....I just bought the car on thursday, ha ha.

3/25/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

How many keys do you have for the vehicle?

1
okay, let’s make it online

Ok The key you have is a MY KEY. You need an administrator key to reset/clear the MY KEYS. You will need a second key and have both keys reprogramed to the vehicle to clear all MY KEyYS

okay, let’s do this online

Ok The key you have is a MY KEY. You need an administrator key to reset/clear the MY KEYS. You will need a second key and have both keys reprogramed to the vehicle to clear all MY KEYS

But in another section of the display window it says I have one mykey and one administrator

It may show the vehicle has two keys programed to the vehicle, but your key is the MY KEY. The other key, where ever it is, needs to be in the vehicles ignition and turned to on to reset the MY KEYS.

Who did you buy the vehicle from, a private seller or a dealership?

fred beans nissan in doylestown PA

Ask them if they have another key to the vehicle. If they do, take it back to the and ask them to clear the MY KEYS because, dealerships usually key the extra key till the vehicle is paid off.

If they do not have the second key, ask them to purchase a second key for you to clear the MY KEYS.

See page 96 of your owners manual near the bottom.

I remember the salesman saying there was no second Key

Then the previous owner lost the second key. Ask them to purchase a second key for you to clear the MY KEYS.

okay, thank you

Your welcome. because a Ford dealership will charge $149 for the key and 1 flat rate hour to program them.

Wow, well at least I know what to expect.

Yep, those PATS keys are not cheap. That is why I recommend asking the dealership you got the vehicle from to pay for it.

I see, well I will try them first, thanks for the heads up.

Your welcome. If you can give me the VIN#, I can get you the Warranty history repairs on your 2010 Escape. And also check for any recalls.

1FMCU0DG0AKB78906I hope I got the zeros and letter O correct.

You did good. No open recalls. Below are the print out from Ford on your Escape.

BIG THANKS !!!

YOUR WELCOME!

A. Penland
Cary York
Phone call session started