Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When you turn the key in the ignition everything lights up,

Customer Question
Hello! When you...

Hello! When you turn the key in the ignition everything lights up, but will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

No damage, no power to turn steering wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Ford Escape 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, taping starter, checking connectors/connections to make sure no loose wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/24/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

The problem is the ignition housing on the steering column that the ignition key cylinder mounts into. It connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch. The problem is that the plastic gear inside it brakes down causing this problem. Replace the ignition housing to repair the problem. See the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122237185738?chn=ps&dispItem=1

A. Penland
A. Penland