Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My service engine soon light came on in my 2002 Ford Taurus.

My service engine soon...

My service engine soon light came on in my 2002 Ford Taurus. What do I have to do immediately. I'm 27 miles from home. Will it be safe to drive it that far. No garage until Mon. -- it's Sat. night. How much can I drive it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I'm not fixing it myself. I'm away from home and want to know if it's safe to drive 27 miles, or more, or less.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/24/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Is the car running normally even though the light is on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it seems to be running ok. I drove about 1 mile home after I noticed the light was on.

Ok, this usually means the issue is related to the evap emissions system. If this is the case the car is safe to drive. Since it's running normally, I would suggest you check the gas cap and make sure it's tight, if it isn't, then tighten it. If it is, then it's still ok to drive as long as it's running normally, so you should be able to use it this weekend.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician