Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a RH climate blend door on my Taurus that is

I have a RH...

I have a RH climate blend door on my Taurus that is misbehaving. I replaced it, but same issue. Only HOT air on the passenger side. I used Forscan and can run a self test on it. The actuator turns, always reports 255 as a position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?

Yes, no issues

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Taurus?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the fuses. Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer. Replaced the RH blend door motor with new OEM motor. Ran self test on HVAC module. Re-ran self-test on HVAC module with RH blend door motor off the car (stiull connected to the wireing). The motor turned 360 degrees in both directions.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

3/24/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the blend door actuator installed in the vehicle before the self test was ran?

The first time I ran self-test it was on the vehicle. Then I ran it with the actuator off the vehicle to check that it was rotating, then I ran the self test with it re-installed in the vehicle. At that point I realized that I could see the blend door position if I had the cabin air filter out. I had the cabin fresh air filter removed during the self test and was able to feel the door move from one extreme to the other during the self test. So, It seems like the actuator is moving the door the fill distance both directions, bot the position is not reliably being reported. When I monitor it with Forscan, it is typically always 255, then drops to 0 briefly at times.

Is it setting any circuit fault codes? When actuator is plugged in, the hvac tries to find the stop positions when the key is turned on, if the actuator can't stop, it can damage the actuator by rotating too far. You may have had a bad actuator out of the box, and now that it has spun 360 I am in fear this one is bad also.

I​ would get another actuator, install it and rerun the tests and see what happens.

OK. Thanks I will give that a try. Can I keep this discussion open until I get a result?
Initially I had codes
B1082:07-80
B1082:13-08
Now I have no codes after running the test.

O​K let me look those up, you can rate today, and you can always ask follow up questions if needed. The system will let me know when you replied. Give me a minute or 2 to look these up.

Ok the 7 code is for binding of the door, it states replace the actuator and retest, the 13 code is for circuit malfunction of the actuator. Here is pinpoint test P for code 13. Click here

Thanks. I went back and re-ran the self test again while I was waiting for your response and am still getting the first two errors, but also: B1083:07-08I took a look at the pdf you sent and can work through that, but, dumb question, Where is the HVAC module? Also, do you have the pinout diagrams for the module so that I can check those voltages and resistances? Thanks.

Here is 1083 code also, it states replace the air inlet mode door actuator and retest. I will look for those connectors.

B1083:07Recirculation Damper Motor: Mechanical FailureINSPECT for binding/damaged linkage or door. REPAIR as necessary. If no condition is found, INSTALL a new air inlet mode door actuator. REFER to Section 412-01. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. TEST the system for normal operation.

If you have more questions just ask, all I ask, is you take the time to rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott. You can always ask follow up questions after rating.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
I tore the dash apart yesterday evening and this evening and made it though the P1-P3 of the pinpoint procedure without issue. When I got to P4 (Continuity through the harness) the first two wires checked out, but the remaining three did not have continuity. found this last night and it seemed bizarre. So I checked the remaining connections on the 228A and B connectors and found that the wires were wired to different pins on the connector. Seems odd to me.For instance, the procedure had:
P4: C2092-2 was wired to C228B-4What I found was that it actually had continuity to one and only one pin on connector C228A (not remembering the specific pin) Also C2092-4 and C2092-5 were wired to different pins than in the procedure. I think they were ping 2,3,and 16. These are all Recirc connectors. Is it possible I am looking at the wrong blend door? This is the one right behind the glove box.I had to put the car back together tonight, and plan to retest to see if I made any better connections after re-assembling it. If you have any thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks
When I said C2092-4 and C2092-5, I meant C2092-5 and C2092-6

If you are checking the one directly behind the glove box, that is the air inlet door actuator. The RH actuator is to the left of the glove box door.

Well that explains my confusion. That actuator is hidden under the harness. I will dig into that in the next couple days. Do you know if that is the same part number as the air inlet door actuator? Can I use the same replacement part on it?

I am not sure on that one, I don't have access to parts catalog. I think they might be, but I would call parts and ask first.

Fixed! The actuator I removed was the same part number as the other, so I used the original actuator from the recirc door on the blend door. Everything is back working. Thank you very much for your help! Bob

A​wesome!! Thank you for your business! If you need anything in the future, just ask for me, thanks again, Scott W

You put in for a refund. Really??

What? I did not. I reviewed you. What went wrong. How do I fix it?

My apologies. I misread. You did nothing wrong, I clicked on the wrong post, sorry.

No problem. Glad it was ok. You had me freaked out. I really appreciate the help.

I am sorry to bother you today.