Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 ford escape won't shift into drive. It will shift to…

Hello. My 2002 ford...

Hello. My 2002 ford escape won't shift into drive. It will shift to all the other gears but it won't fall into drive

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I think its 5 to 10 years old and where is the brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just happened this morning. But after I had drove in 2nd gear to take someone somewhere. I turned off the car and started it 5 minutes later and is fine. So as of now it shifts into drive but I am afraid it might do it to me again and not go into drive. I can't ask a transmission place since they are all closed for the weekend. So I am trying to find out online what caused it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well that it is working now but I want to know if my transmission is going

3/24/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

H​ello my name is ***** ***** me a few minutes to review your question, thanks.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I prefer to type over talk so I can copy it and read it later when I can mess with it.

O​k I was at first suspecting maybe a problem with the forward clutch, but the forward clutch is on in second also. So I would check the fluid level when hot, make sure its not low and check the shifter cable, I have see a few if these bushings wear out and cause shifting concerns. Is the fluid level full? Has the engine computer been tested for trouble codes?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I checked the fluid while it was running and it looks fine. Its in the crosshatches. The engine hasn't been tested for codes since no light is on and didn't get that done. How do you check the shifter cable?

H​ere is selector cable adjustment, you don't need to do the adjustment just yet, this is for pictures only, just check the cable where is attaches to the transmission shift lever at the transmission, have someone shift the gear lever back and forth and look for any lost motion, sometimes these bushings would wear out.

It the cable bushing looks ok, then I suspect you have a internal seal leak since all the other gears work ok, a transmission electrical test would be needed, then a hydraulic pressure test in drive to verify a internal leak.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I don't see any pics but I looked online where to look under the steering column and I will start there. I will call a transmission place Monday and see how much an electrical and hydraulic pressure test will cost and take it in. Thanks for the info.

Here is selector adjustment. Click here

If you have more questions just ask, all I ask, is you take the time to rate my service today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott. You can always ask follow up questions after rating.

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Great. Thank you!

Thank you!!

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician