Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Motor dies, low batt lite shows on cluster. turn key off and…

Customer Question
Motor dies , low...

Motor dies , low batt lite shows on cluster . turn key off and motor will restart. what is going on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Car is in drive when motor dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2014 escape se ecoboost 1.6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will try to fix if I know where to start.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/24/2018
Ford Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
The first thing you need to do is get a voltmeter measure the system voltage that they alternator is outputting at the battery.With the vehicle idling and no electrical consumers Audi should be putting out over 14 volts, if you turn on the headlights, seat heaters, heater, defrost, and any other electrical loads and leave them on for 20 min at idle, the vehicle should be putting out 13.6 volts or more. If that's not the case, then we need to diagnose the starting and charging system.Is that checks out, I need you to clarify your statement motor dies, low batt light shows on cluster. Are you stating that the low battery light comes on after the motor dies? Because that is completely normal as the alternator is no longer charging.If you're stating that the low battery light comes on and then the motor dies, if the low battery light comes on after the engine RPM drops very low to say below 500 before the engine dies then that's pretty normal as well because alternator is not spinning fast enough.If you're saying the low battery light comes on and the engine is still at 800 RPM or so, then we have an issue.It would really help if you could hook an OBD2 scan tool with capability for real time sensor readings up to the vehicle and tell me what the fuel trims are for this vehicle. Long term fuel trims should be close to 0% at both idle and cruise, really anything under 1 and 1/2 or 2% is normal. If the vehicle is over + 5% at idle and normal at cruise it indicates a vacuum leak which could cause the motor to die when idling. If it is adding fuel at both idle and cruise it indicates the mass airflow sensor is faulty, which can also cause stalling.Can you tell me when the motor dies? Is it when the vehicle is idling, is it when you're driving? Is it after driving the vehicle for a long period of time or is it happen even just right after starting it up, please clarify the situation for me.