Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 Ford Ranger xlt 3.0 flex. The 1st code was

Customer Question
I have a 99 Ford...
I have a 99 Ford Ranger xlt 3.0 flex.
The 1st code was misfire cylinder 3 plug/wire. I replaced all plugs, all wires, power pack, electric idle air intake valve, fuel filter, MAGS sensor. Next code was misfire cylinder 3 New injector. Replace injector, next code was misfire cylinder 3 and 1. New injectors. 3 is brand new already I’m leaning towards this being a computer now since it is an intermittent problem since the car will run problem free a few days in a row then a random day of hesitation
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K

To be honest what is more common is for the valves to start to tulip and not seal good when in the valve seat. That is very common on the 3.0'

Also what does happen on the 3.0 is if a headgasket is blown it can misfire randomly. If you are not loosing coolant then perhaps that may not be the issue for you. More likely the head needs a valve job.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m getting a code for a new injector. All looks good there. It Is not a constant problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Getting a code to replace a brand new injector and the valve system looks good
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible for the computer that runs the fuel system to have intermittent issue

What code are you getting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1st code was plug/wire
Changed a ton of stuff
2nd code after that was misfire in 3 change injector. Changed it. Now it says 3 and 1 and 3 is new. It probably runs bad 1 or 2 of every 7 days
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Runs perfect the other days
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question is if you read my initial post you’ll see all the stuff I changed it’s an intermittent issue not a constant one. The engine runs absolutely beautifully when this is not happening what other parts could I possibly change without doing the whole fuel injector system because that’s not the issue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PCM?
ECU? Which runs the fuel/air system ?

I am a Ford mechanic of over 20 years and I am trying to tell you the common problems and you are not listening. You already replaced all the parts and it is not fixed.

I feel I will not make progress here. I will open this question up to the other experts. Thanks. Someone should reply soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To get a code on something that you have already changed doesn’t seem like the issue to me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To get several different codes for the same problem kind of seems like it might be a computer related
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

All you have done is replaced parts. I have not seen one time where you check ANY wires for voltages, grounds or signal, let alone high resistance. anyone can throw parts at a car.

just my opinion but you need to learn how to troubleshoot and not contradict the expert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh I didn’t know I had to test voltages to do a complete injector re haul like suggested by guy 1. Can u point me to refunds. Thanks
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

2 techs prior have opted out.

Would like/mind if I tried to help you?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician