Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

7.3 1997 The glow plug light on dash flickers and won’t

Customer Question
7.3 1997 The glow...

7.3 1997 The glow plug light on dash flickers and won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes fuses and bulb ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Ford?

250 superduty ex ambulance

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am a mechanic, I have replaced the glow plug controller but used an after Chinese thing which I think is rubbish

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have not checked the fuel pump pressure but think it is ok

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/24/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

Did you buy it from like ebay.com or online the Glow plug controller

The flicker wait to start light is : A SHORT IN 464 CIRCUIT ( BK/PK) WIRE or PCM issue , testing is needed on the 464 circuit Test pin # 80 at break out box

Click on link to view the pdf file for the the Possible causes for the flashing wait to start light,

Enter this pinpoint test only when directed here from symptom flowcharts.

This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose only the following:
- Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
- harness circuits: WAIT TO START lamp
- warning lamp

DESCRIPTION
The glow plugs are energized during and after the WAIT TO START light is on. When the WAIT TO START light goes off, the engine is ready to be started.

OUTPUT FUNCTIONS

Glow Plug Relay - A relay that controls the current flow to the glow plugs. Glow plug relay ON time is controlled by the PCM and is a function of engine oil temperature, barometric pressure and battery voltage. Glow plug ON time normally varies between 10 to 120 seconds.

"WAIT TO START" Light - A lamp to indicate to the operator when the glow plugs have been on long enough to crank the engine. It is controlled by the PCM. WAIT TO START light ON time is a function of engine oil temperature, barometric pressure and battery voltage. ON time normally varies between 1 to 10 seconds.

NOTE: WAIT TO START light ON time is independent from glow plug relay ON time.

DETECTION/MANAGEMENT
An open or shorted to ground glow plug relay or WAIT TO START light circuit can be detected by an on-demand output circuit check performed during the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) standard test.

Glow plug and glow plug harness problems cannot be detected by the PCM.

CAUTION: Do not perform any voltage checks with the engine running; 115v DC at 10 amps present on injector circuits.

DTC DESCRIPTION
P0381 = Glow plug indicator circuit malfunction

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Hi Chad,
I will be patient with you re answers,also I have to be away from the vehicle over the week end so you need to give me time to check out the different possible causes of the problem.
I may have to purchase the right analytical tool as I do not have one yet.
Thanks

sure take your time

read below how to get back in touch anytime you want , even afte u rate me you can still ask me follow ups,this post does not close

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician