Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chatted a bit ago...2003 f150 5.4 2WD L code. Noisy lifters,

good pressure. Tried all additives...
Chatted a bit ago...2003 f150 5.4 2WD L code. Noisy lifters, good pressure. Tried all additives. Replaced all the lifters 2 days ago. Noise gone for two days. Now what?
3/24/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Have you ran an oil pressure test? Especially one on the heads to check for flow or pressure concerns?

No, not there. Have taken oil pressure sending unit off and hooked direct gauge. Runs 40 to 45 lbs.
Thinking now bout keeping a direct oil pressure gauge on it to see if it fluctuates when the lifters are making the horrible clatter noise. As stated earlier it comes and goes. Could be quiet all day and then after riad trip noisy again. Maybe oil pump starting to go?

If the pressure at the block at 2000 rpm drops below 40 psi then you would likely have a pump or pressure relief valve failing. On the head are plugs that block off ports. You have to look around and check them. If you can too get readings there, that would help to see if the concern is oil pressure related. So I am thinking it is a sticking relief valve or a port semi cogged in the head blocking adequate oil flow.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Thanks for info. New at this and thought I had to wait till session over. People worked to hard to gain knowledge to be messed over and not give credit where credit is due
Too hard is what I meant to correct my grammar above

Rating just pays me and nothing more. This post will forever now be open and available to reply now that it is related. Keep me in the loop on your findings.

How do I tip?

It is on your page somewhere. I can not see your page nor know how to do so.

Chris

But would those two findings result in intermittent diesel sound? Went for 2 days without ANY sound. I know it’s not exhaust leak or loose plug or converter either.
I’ll figure the tip thing

Yes an oiling issue to the top half of the engine will make the valve train make noise as well as affect compression and getting AF into the engine and exhaust out which can make noise as well.

will a sticking relief valve or clogged port result in having to take the head off or intake manifold? Just spent 600 bucks on lifters n labor....much more money and I might as well replace engine....thoughts?

If there is a clog somewhere, you can sometimes use chemicals to flush it out but in some cases, you have to take apart the head and blow the ports out. The pressure relief does not require head or intake removal to access.

Hmmm....tried sea foam Lucas and marvel. Mechanic looked and internals looked good when doing lifters...no sludge or buildup that he could see, even timing chain looked good. I’ll try sea foam one more time but afraid with the miles I still might be better off to just replace it. 600 here plus labor to take head off and who know what we will find. I can get a new one for 2500 with 3 year 100k warranty. Wanna save money but not waste it
Also of note, engine never stumbles or has any loss of power

If a replacement engine is an option, then I would run yours till it fails.

But in your expert opinion is it a waste of money to pull the heads and try to blow

I would say it is not a waste of money to pull the heads and fs your engine but I do not have to pay for labor being I do it myself.

Nice! Didn’t expect follow up. Lifters replaced to the tube of 600$. Went away for two days and came back. Noisy for whole weekend. Take to mechanic and quiet comes and goes. Gonna use a top rated engine flush called lubegard and drop pan myself. Mechanic wants 500 to do it. HAS to be clogged screen

Keep in touch as needed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dunno if you’ll get this....was a piece of gasket material in oil restrictor tube! Fixed!!!!

Thanks for letting me know.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician