Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 ford rangers XLT, installed new battery truck…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 ford rangers XLT, installed new battery truck started, but after it sat a day or two went out. To start the truck and nothing, the dome light would not even come on. Jumped the truck with my Ford F-150 and the ranger started right up, after setting for about 6 hours went back to start the truck opened the door and again the dome light would not come on, turned the key and nothing not even a click. Could you tell me what’s wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F150?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wait. I’m not talking about the F150. It works fine it’s the ranger that has the problem. I just used the 150 to jump the ranger to get it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, but you have me confused when you ask me about the 150. My whole question is regarding my ranger truck not starting unless it’s jumped started with a new battery just installed in my ranger.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/24/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

The problem is your Ranger has what we call an "ignition off draw" or parasetic draw". In other words, something is draining the battery when the key is off. Something (module, computer, etc.) is not powering down and then drawing power from the battery.

What needs to be done is to have a shop or dealer you trust connect an ammeter and measure the ignition off draw with everything turned off. The allowable current draw is about 30 to 40 milliamps. Anything higher than that will eventually drain the battery.

Do you have a shop or dealer you trust to check this?

Chris

Hello?

I have a reliable mechanic.
Thank you.

Ok great! Then ask him to use his ammeter to check for excessive ignition off draw. If it is above 40 milliamps, then he can start pulling fuses one at a time to isolate which circuit is causing the draw and battery to drain. Then that component powered by the fuse can be checked and replaced if necessary to stop the drain.

Ask him to also check to see if the alternator is causing the drain. I do see this from time to time on these trucks.

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra, and does not close this session. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Good morning! Just checking back to see if you received my last reply from yesterday.Chris
Good morning! Just checking back to see if you received my last reply from yesterday.
I won't rate until next week after I take my truck to my mechanic and show him what you suggested.
Ok thank you for replying back. Just wanted to be sure that you received my answer. Have a good weekend, and I will look for your reply later next week.Chris

Hello, any luck getting the ignition off draw checked yet?

Chris