Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2006 ford fusion and get a tapping noise when

Have a 2006 ford...

Have a 2006 ford fusion and get a tapping noise when accelerating and wont rev higher than 3500 and drops back to around 3200

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Did not check the fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am fixing myself , i discovered that the oikl level was low in the crankcase.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No mainly the tapping / rattle noise

3/24/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
okay no
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
are you still there?

yes im here.

A little patience goes a long way. thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Okay sorry

is it rattling or tapping at idle ?

phone call isnt necessary.

do you hear a rattle or tapping noise while the engine is idling or when you give it rpms in park?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
no tapping or rattle at idle

I said a phone call isnt necessary, I cannot talk right now anyway. please answer my question. thank you

how low was the oil?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Still on the end of the dipstick added about 2 quarts and should add 1 more
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Did i get charged for the phone conversation request?

I would definitely add 1 more and no you will not get charged for the call. if the money was taken out it will be refunded

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
other than the oil being low what else should i be looking for?

if you give it rpms while in park, does it tap or rattle?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
when i rev it in park, also it does not rev higher than 3500 rpm and seems a little sluggish

ok, do a back pressure test to see if the catalytic converter is clogged or partially clogged

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
okay, is there an easy way to do that? what about the tapping/rattle when accelerating?

that can be caused by the valve seals due to low oil pressure. to do a back pressure test you need a back pressure gauge. you remove the upstream oxygen sensor and screw the back pressure gauge in its place. you start the engine, let the idle settle down and the gauge should not move past 1. then you go to 2500 rpms and the gauge should still not go above one.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
eric remington

O​K SO IF YOU WERE 2 QYTS LOW THEN YOU PROBABLY OVERDDUE FOR OIL CHANGE SO DO THAT. THEN HOW MANY MILES.DOES IT HAVE EXTERNAL FUEL FILTER? SPARK PLUGS REPLACED?

Phone call session started

T​HE REASON FOR NOISE IS YOU WERE LOW ON OIL. PROBABLY OVERDUE IF IT HAS BEEN OVER 5000 MILES CHANGE OIL.LOW OIL CAN CAUSE DRVABILTY PROBLEMS AS WELL CK FUEL FILTER IAND SPARK PLUGS AS WELL

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

SPARK PLUGS DO EVERY 100K FUEL FILTER EVERY 30 K OIL CHANGE EVERY 5000 MILES

C​K OIL EVERY 500MILES

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic