Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 F150 with a 5.0L V-8. For the past year I have…

I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 F150 with a 5.0L V-8. For the past year I have had random rough idling and occasionally the check engine light will come on. I have an OBDLink analyzer and the problem is mis-fires in cylinder 7 (even for the times that there is very rough idling and the check engine light does not come on). I’ve changed the spark coil mulitiple times and the spark plug. The last time I swapped the plug and the coil on Cylinder 7 with the plug and coil from Cylinder 1 (cylinder 1 never has mis-fires). I still get mis-fires on Cylinder 7 and none on Cylinder 1. The truck has 90,000 miles on it. I have not taken it to a dealer or service center up to this point. Any ideas or advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on solid most of the time. One time it was blinking. I have been re-setting it after changing the coils or reading the diagnostic logs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I explained it in my first post

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

So this isn't a constant misfire? Or is the misfire always there but the light only comes on sometimes?

Good question. When I've checked there always seems to be misfires on cyl 7, but not always enough to trigger a check engine event
most of the time it seems to run just fine. in that case I don't normally check the diagnostic logs

Ok, a couple of things I would look for as possible causes.

First, if it's idling rough, check for intake leaks. Do this by spraying some carb cleaner along the intake around cylinder #7 when it's running. If it's leaking, it will pick up speed or smooth out.

That being said, it seems like you have eliminated the coil or plug, so I would next run some good fuel injector cleaner through it. If the injector isn't spraying right all the time, it will cause a misfire to occur.

If that proves inconclusive, you'll likely want to swap #7 injector with the one next to it and see if the misfire moves with it. If it does, then replace the injector.

This is the path I would take with this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

That's great information. Thanks. I was told by someone else that it couldn't be the injectors so I've never tried that. I'll try it now. Thanks again.

Oh yes, if you have one that's not spraying right, it will or can cause a misfire. To much fuel in that cylinder can cause the misfire, or not enough.

You are very welcome and please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answers. If I can give you any more info to make it a 5 star rating, let me know.

Thanks.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician