Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hard start, when it starts RPMs jump up and down and

Customer Question
Hard start, when it...

Hard start, when it starts RPMs jump up and down and gradually decrease until it shuts off. During this time i press the gas but it doesnt even seem like the gas is pumping when I press the peddle. I do hear the pump prime before start. The PCM has been changed twice. The fuel pump has be changed. The truck will run continuously after a couple of tries but it is a rough idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent I thought it might be the enertia switch but not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 f150 4.2 liter v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuel pump, fuel filter, EGR throttle body sensor, air temp. sensor, mass air flow sensor, EGR vacuum solenoid, had exhaust system checked and was said to be fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
3/23/2018
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 6 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

How long ago was the fuel pump replaced?

No Check engine light on.
air flow readings a all over the place and the fuel flow reading is all over the place.
Looking to fix it, tired of throwing parts at it. Already spent $5,000 at ford and they concluded it was my cool air intake thats been on for 10 years and has never given me problems before.
The fuel pump was replaced 2 months ago and was running good until I had ford look at it and they replaced the PCM, sychonizer, spark plus, fuel relay, then rewired the fuel relay, coil and plug wires.

Thank you for that information. Are you sure the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking fuel into the vacuum hose/line?

What is the fuel pressure at when this happens?

I do not have a gauge to check it. I

Ok, well, you will need to get one and check it to diagnose it correctly if you don't want to throw parts at it. That is your next step.

Also, dont forget to check the fuel pressure regulator.

roger. I will have that checked.

Sounds good, let me know

will do. thanks a bunch.

You bet!