Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 F350 - my trailer brakes work, but when maxed out at…

2005 F350 - my...

2005 F350 - my trailer brakes work, but when maxed out at the "10" setting on the controller, I can only feel a slight tug on the trailer when applying the brakes. When I dynamite the trailer brakes, they lock right up as they should (new travel trailer) so I suspect the problem is with my truck. On one website that I looked at, they say that if my truck was built prior to March of 2005 the voltage at the rear bumper with brakes applied at max setting should be something like 1.5 to 2 volts. After that date I should get 12 volts (This seems odd) For the record, my truck has a build date of Dec 2004.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

One thing on your website mentions the speed control module. That might be a clue because for the last year or so, when I disengage the cruise control, the truck shudders. With the controller applied fully and set at 10, I measure 3 volts at the rear bumper. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked all the fuses that looked like they might apply to my system (about 6 of them) All good. I re-inserted them upside down in case they were not making good contact. No change in the brakes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I checked the fuses. I vice gripped a ground wire from a bare shiny spot on the trailer chassis direct to the truck battery. No change. That's about it so far.

3/23/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

At the rear you get 3 volts with the brake applied, what about with the manual slider pushed to max?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
That is with the manual slider to the max - 3 volts
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
If I really need to speak on the phone, it might be better to use my mobile number because I might be outside at the truck. Up to you but typing suits me fine. I took the rear trailer plug apart yesterday. That it, I unmounted it and unplugged the harness from the back. It looks like new inside. Reassembled now.

Engine running, at the trailer brake controller. You should see battery voltage on the red, pink, and violet/orange. Gain on 10, manual slider at max, the dark blue wire should be battery 10+ volts. If it is not and the prior tested wires have battery voltage with the slider held on max then your controller is bad. Let me know.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'll be 30 min or so......

Not a problem, that is close to my quitting time, so if I do not reply. I will reply tonight around 9 central. I work from 9-3 at night.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
With the controller set at 10 and the slider switch applied, I get red at 13.7V, pink at 13.7V, voilet/orange at 13.7V, and blue at only 3.06V

You have a bad controller in this case. Options are to install a new TBC or go with an aftermarket one that is plug and play with the connector to your current bad TBC.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have a new controller and now get 10.5 volts. I have not tried the trailer yet but I'm pretty sure we have it fixed now. Thank you!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Uh oh! Now I get a "TBC fault" error code. Is this something that can be cleared with a code reader or do I have a more serious problem? I should mention that while replacing the controller, I also installed new truck batteries. Don't know if that would have any effect.......

A scan tool is needed to see which code the TBC is storing so we can address that.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician