Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1994 ford f-150 4.9. I replaced the smog pump which required…

1994 ford f-150 4.9 ...

1994 ford f-150 4.9

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the smog pump which required the removal and reinstallation of the alternator. After triple checking all connections I attempted to start the truck. At first the instrument panel lit up normally. When engaged the starter clicked and then the instrument panel (and everything) went dead as if disconnected. When connected to another vehicle via jumper cables the truck starts and runs. When I shut it off and try to restart everything goes dead again. I've had the battery checked twice and it is fully charged and good. Starter solenoid? Engine control computer?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No. The 5-year battery is one year old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I believe that's it for the moment.

3/23/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you did you repair did you make sure to connect all ground, the battery needs to be grounded from the battery to the frame and over to the engine.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I disconnected the battery at both the positive and negative battery posts and reconnected them when finished. Nothing else electrical was disconnected other than the alternator connections.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don't need a phone call. Just direction as to the possible cause(s).
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Also when the truck is running the alternator indicator needle goes to the right when the motor is accelerated.

Phone calls are offered by the site and not by me, we can work from here. All your doing when you jump your battery with the jumper is supplying an added power supply and a ground. If everything went dead when you turn the key then you are losing a connection, if the battery is okay and the connections are clean and tight at the battery then you need to check the battery ground cable from the battery to the frame and over to the engine. Can you do this and let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can, but it will take some time.

No hurry, I'm here all day, post back when you have time and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks Ron. Problem resolved. The wall connection didn't show corrosion, just a very thin layer of blue-green. When I emoried it, presto. Thanks for your help!

I suspected as much, glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Additional problem: The transmission is slamming into every gear. This just started after the above. I replaced the ABS speed sensor on the rear axle to no avail. Have I fried something electrical? Is there anything else I can do or is it time to get it to a certified mechanic?

The first thing you may want to do is scan the computer system to see if there are any fault codes set. Replacing the smog pump should not have caused anything to fry. I would also go back and recheck your connection that you cleaned to be sure you did not bend any of the pins when you cleaned it.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The connection I cleaned was the ground to the wall nut on bolt. I had jumped the truck with another vehicle to start it when it apparently wasn't grounded effectively. So I'm wondering if I've damaged something causing the transmission to "slam" into gear.

That may have damaged the PCM (computer) but before you do anything else how about scanning the computer to see if there are any fault codes set.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'll get it scanned. Could the output shaft sensor connector, assuming this truck has this component, failure cause this?

Your 1994 does not have an output speed sensor, the transmission gets it speed sensor signal from the Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM) which is the instrument cluster and if the speedometer is working properly then it is not likely the cause. At eaither rate, if you have an electronic control issue, there should be a fault code.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks Ron. I'll get it scanned on Monday. Have a good weekend--what's left of it.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician