Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Codes P0446, PO174, PO191, P2195. 04 F150 4.6V8 starts good…

Codes P0446, PO174, PO191...

Codes P0446, PO174, PO191, P2195. 04 F150 4.6V8 starts good idles smooth for about 20 minutes, starts bogging down and quits. have to wait for and hour or so, same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

410,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, nothing yet but I have to try to fix it tomorrow. it has a new upstream 02 on the drivers side

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/23/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

thanks

Can you tell me what you're working on please, need the year, make and model as well as engine size.

04 F150 4.6 V8 trouble codes p0446, p0174, p0191, p2195. It started bogging on the expressway Wed. on the way home from work and finally just quit and wouldn't start. Had to have it towed home. Didn't have time to mess with it that night. So i took my girl friends car to work yesterday. Got home yesterday and it cranked up and ran fine, even took it out on the expressway, ran great. So got back home and shut it off, waited a few minutes and tried to crank it, sputter, sputter, died and wouldn't crank.

The codes that is most likely related to this issue is the code P0191, the code P0191 suggests a fuel pump performance issue. Basically, the powertrain control module is commanding the fuel pump to do one thing (through the fuel pump driver module) and it is detecting something different from the injection pressure sensor which usually means you have a bad fuel pump driver module or the connection to it has corrosion issue which is common or the fuel pump is failing. That will also cause the code P2195 to set as well. The place to start is to test the circuit in and out of the fuel pump drive module when it will not start. I have enclosed the steps to do this in the link below. You need to by-pass it and see if the fuel pump will then run. See the steps to check this in the links below. The code P0446 is an EVAP code usually due to a failing Canister vent solenoid and will not cause the problem you are having so it can wait to be addressed. Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help with this and we can work from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oks4lsla4aj8uek/Drive%20mod%20testing%20Mar%2023.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2di7f3nvoeqoj0w/Driver%20location%20Mar%2023.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53n6lim7x0z9t3f/Driver%20bypass%20Mar%2023.pdf?dl=0

thx

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

your welcome

Thank you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks Ron for your help. I changed the fuel pump this weekend and it's running great. If I have any other questions I will definitely ask for you. Thanks again!

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you very much as well.

55357;�
Take care!

You as well.