Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 ford f150 5.4l 4x4 extended cab. 4x4 stays partially…

Customer Question
2010 ford f150 5.4l...

2010 ford f150 5.4l 4x4 extended cab.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

4x4 stays partially engaged. i work at a shop and we have tried everything we can think of and still have issues

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vacuum lines have been replaced, both hub actuators have been replaced, the solenoid has been replaced. engine produces 21 in. of vacuum and 21 in of vacuum is also observed at the hub actuators. used a vacuum tester to test the functionality of new hub actuators in case a defective part was installed, yet there still seems to be a groaning while applying throttle pressure driving down the road

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Otherwise the vehicle runs fine

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
applied 15 in of vacuum to 4x4 system at the solenoid and over 60 seconds, vacuum dropped 1 in of mercury.
3/23/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

When driving in 2wd are you getting a ratcheting grinding noise from the front IWEs that goes away immediately if you select 4 high?

that is exactly it
If you put it back to 2wd after havin it in 4hi it will stay quiet until you either slow down to a stop or turn or both then it is loud again until 4hi is cycled

Can you unplug the IWE solenoid, connect your vacuum there to the vacuum supply, mount your gauge on a wiper arm with a zip tie, drive and see if the vacuum ever gets below 6 inhg?

Okay I will give that a shot and report back, thanks

Thanks

Engine vacuum drops to 3inhg-0inhg on any throttle application

Thanks, ***** ***** your issue is a vacuum leak somewhere before the IWE solenoid. I would disconnect the supply to the reservoir and try again tehre to see if the leak is at the reservoir or after. If the engine vacuum dropped this low we would expect to see a lean code. So I feel like the concern is not affecting the vacuum within the intake but is affecting the supply to the vacuum reservoir and the components needing vacuum from the reservoir.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Can not find a vacuum leak. And the truck runs great other that this 4x4 issue. What do you mean check after the intake. It’s just the one hose off the intake, when disconnected obviously it doesn’t run very well. Tried inspecting the hose all the way to the intake and it appeared fine and also didn’t ingest the brake clean I was spraying at it. It’s odd that it drops all that vacuum on light, medium, or heavy throttle applications. And when it acts up, the 4x4 is the only thing to experience issues

On heavy throttle, there will be a blip of vacuum loss but it should recover. Did you test the supply of vacuum to the reservoir to see if it dropped just like it did at the IWE solenoid?

Went straight to engine vacuum and under any throttle application, light, med, heavy, the needle on vacuum gauge drops to zero from 21-22inhg. When you idle or coast, vacuum returns to 21-22inhg
Hooked into the T at the brake booster

The vacuum reservoir is there and designed to help prevent sudden drops in vacuum and sustained drops. It will drop when tested at the engine, that is normal, it will drop at the booster that is normal. It should not drop a lot after the reservoir. The reservoir is near the booster. We need to check before and after the reservoir to see if there is an issue there with the reservoir or the one-way check valve which results in a loss of vacuum also to the IWE.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris