Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford E450 SD 2003/2004 no volt at rear Right Turn wire at…

Ford E450 SD 2003/2004...

Ford E450 SD 2003/2004 no volt at rear Right Turn wire at light. RT lamp front operates, can hear flasher click, but no RT Rear Volt. Emergency Flasher works all but still no Rear flash. I do not know if there is a fuse on the panel under the drivers dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Do not have a manual but the three tab flasher is mounted to the fuse panel under the drivers dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a E-450 Super Duty engine and frame for my RV. Yes. I am somewhat familiar with electrical/electronic circuits.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not know which fuse(s) are used with the rear turn light. All other lights work fine. I have narrowed it down to the power after the flasher. I have resistance checked the three tab flasher with a good unit. Both read the same and swapped them out. Still no rear turn light. As I mentioned the flasher does click and the front turn signal does operate.

3/23/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Can I get the vin# ***** make sure I am looking at the right wire diagrams?

I assume the right rear brake light does not work either?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Correct. vin# *****
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Email/online is fine.

Use these diagrams.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/os6nj0rc5k60ob8/OG1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6078g9iw3hwsk30/OG2.png?dl=0

At the multifunction switch see if the orange/ light blue wire is powered when braking. If not then the switch is your failure. If there is power then check the trailer connector, same color wire, that will help us find where the break in the circuit is at.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Your reference to a "malfunction switch"? Do not know what or where it is. I do not have voltage at the red wire which is supposed to provide Brake and Turn 12V to lamp. I do not know where the feed wire is located at the fuse panel under the drivers dash just above the brake pedal.

The multifunction switch is the headlight dimmer, turn signal, and wiper switch sticking out of the left side of the steering column.

The right rear stop turn lamp does not get its signal from the fuse box.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will check the turn signal control tomorrow. I assumed if it (multifunction switch) was the problem, I would have lost the brake and rear turn signal on the left side also. The brake light works on the rear Left side.

From the M switch, there is a separate output for all 4 corner turn lamps. If both rear stop turn lamps were on the same circuit then both rear lamps would flash when using the left and right turn signals.

Report back when ready and we will go from there, do not forget you can follow along in the wire diagrams I sent.

Chris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks Chris. I'll let you know tomorrow, what I find.
Paul

Sounds good Paul

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Chris, It was late when I posed the question. It is my Left Turn/Brake which is the problem. Not the right turn. Sorry, I realized my error when I looked over the drawings. Does that change the wire color code I need check?

It does change the answer, it is the light green/orange wire now.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Took some time to find the correct plug and get housing moved. Plug/wires located on top of MF Sw. Did not find a Green/Orange wire. LT Green/White wire flashed on and off at Multifunction Sw. same as RT Blue/White flashed when selected. Both LT and RT dash indicators flashed, still no voltage to Rear LT Turn light. Checked Trailer Plug LT no voltage, RT flashed, and Run Light had 12V.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I went back and did find a Green/Orange (close to a Green/Red) and it had voltage without the brake on or off. Just disconnected the MF Sw plug on top, to get a better look and record wires and placement for possible use later.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Nothing new. Still no rear RT signal. Front RT and dash indicators work. There is flash voltage at MF Sw (with plug connected) at plug when selecting RT and LT signal. Nothing at Rear light wire and Trailer connection for RT.
Paul
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have "RT" stuck on my mind. It is still the Left Turn Rear which does not have power.
The LT flash V is coming out of the MF Sw. But, still no power to the rear.
Where do I go next? I'll be back in the AM to test your suggestions.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Yep, that's the plug. Could have used it yesterday with the other diagrams. The steering shaft cowl makes it difficult to reach and tell the wire colors without approximate location on plug. The steering wheel adjustment lever knob will not come off. Working around the cowl. These are the readings:
Pin 5 OR/BL Right Rear Feed Flashes with RT With Brake = On/Off with Brake
Pin 9 GR/OR Left Rear Feed Flashes with LT With Brake = On/Off with Brake
Both do the same
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Looking at drawing, I see Gn/Or Pin 9 goes to S232 and splits to Rear LT and Trailer Adapter. Where is connection S232 located? Because we know there is no LT/BRK signal to the wire at Rear LT /Brk Light and no LT / BRK to the Trailer Adapter.

Thanks for confirming we are good at the M switch.

There is a connector inline prior, we need to check there first.

At connector 212 right front floorboard to the extreme right see if the LG/OG wire does the same on both sides of the connector as it did at the M switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75ofl2dt507yxhz/212.png?dl=0

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That was a trip, hidden behind the wall. LG/OG wire Pin 10 C 212 reads same as M Sw. Good flash Left turn. Still no rear LT Light or Brake. Where to now, boss?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Second time I had been in that area checking for Gn/ Or wire. Checked again. At S232 LG/OG wire reads same as M Sw and C212. Good flash voltage, still no Rear Light or Brake in back.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where to next? Is there another junction/connector before the Rear LT and Trailer plug?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
the inline connectors C237 and C311 will be very useful.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where do the trunk lines run, for the G/OR wires between C 237 to the Trailer Adapter, and from C311 to the C4035 at Rear LT Light. I can see wire bundles underneath, on both sides of the frame.
I could not reach C 237 or C311. Both would have confirmed flash voltage was lost in a trunk line. Location of C 311 is difficult to identify from pix. I might have better luck looking at trunk lines under the vehicle.

Since it is a stripped chassis from Ford that has an RV installed on it. The RV routes and runs the wiring from the connectors I gave you to the lamps and trailer connector. The way the wire harness is routed from that point is not shown.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can you provide additional information on how/where to access C 311. Drawing I have is not very helpful. Also, if I can find some way to access C237, I might be able to run a new AWG 18 wires to rear.

237 is going to be crammed in next to the brake booster.

311 standing outside the open driver door. Reach down and touch the seat recliner lever. Move your hand right till you hit the B pillar that runs vertically all the way up to the roof. Your hand is 4 inches away from where connector 311 should be inside the B pillar.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The brake booster is right in front of C 311. Not enough room to reach it. Just a little leery about disconnecting or how to move it, to reach C 311.
I will check out getting into the pillar tomorrow. Is there anything special about opening the pillar? It has been rainy for the last three days, so I will start again when it clears up.
Looks like running new wires will be a real challenge if the voltage is at the output of both C311 and C 327 is bad.
Thanks for the assistance.

Running a new wire may be a hassle but may be quicker than doing all these tests. Nothing special about removing the B pillar.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician