Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cannot get antifreeze to circulate through motor. Overheats…

Customer Question
Cannot get antifreeze to...

Cannot get antifreeze to circulate through motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?

Overheats because no fluid is going through motor. no leaks and reserve tank remains full. Water pump appears ok. Removed temp sending unit and with it out and started engine and no fluid came out. Have changed thermostate.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2003 Ford Escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Have changed thermostat, water pump belt, removed water pump and had inspected. Does not appear that any fluid is in the radiator hoses

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/23/2018
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 month ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what was the condition of the coolant when you replaced the water pump did it look clean or did it look really bad? How many miles are on this engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The coolant looked ok. There is 156000 miles on car.
Hello so you took the water pump off but didn't replace it,? If the pump is turning it should be circulating coolant unless there is a cooling system restriction in the block or the radiator. I would put my money on a radiator seue before a plugged block. You can drain the block and check flow when refilling with water.
As for the radiator you can check it's flow by temperature. Using your hands or an infrared temperature gun. If there are cold spots in the radiator it is restricted.
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans