Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I shot a. Front left guide and tensioner through the top of…

Customer Question
I shot a. Front...

I shot a. Front left guide and tensioner through the top of my valve cover.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

240140 it was not leaking oil but there is no oil pressure because of,the hole in the valve cover.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 ford ranger 4.0 sohc xlt supercab 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im still feeling it out the engine is still in the vehicle with the guide and the end of the tensioner resting on the power steering pump. I understand that the front left guide can be replaced with the engine still in the vehicle.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/23/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 4 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You are correct, the drivers side timing chain tensioner cassette can be replaced without removing the engine, but you will need the special timing tools to set the timing chains properly. But this engine is also an interference engine which means if the timing chains break or jump time, the pistons will come in contact with the valves and cause damage to them. This may have happened if the timing chain guide came through the valve cover. You may want to price out replacing the engine. Because if the front cassette broke, and you have 240,000 miles on this Explorer, the back one for the passenger side of the engine may be dong the same shortly.

The rear timing chain guide, primary blade tensioner and primary guide were replaced with new parts at 198884 miles and the timing was reset and all the gaskets on the engine were replaced.

Thank you for that information. I did not know that. Are you doing the repairs or is someone else?