Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 E150, 4.6L with 190k miles. Daily user until I…

I have a 2006 E150...
I have a 2006 E150, 4.6L with 190k miles. Daily user until I retired. Sat for a month and when I started it it made an awful noise from passenger side and the dash gauge went to zero. Hooked up analog gauge in place of sending unit and got zero oil pressure. Thinking the oil pump might be my problem I tore it down. Found slop in right timing chain also so I put in a new pump and complete timing set. Bolted everything back up and spun the engine to check oil pressure and got zero again. Primed the pump a second time through the sending unit port, spun the engine and got 6 psi. Felt good enough to start it and I still have the noise from the passenger side and about 8 psi oil pressure. I must have the pros on the Ford Enthusiast Forum stumped because no replies after over 240 reviews of my thread about this issue. Any ideas what is wrong?
3/23/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, how many miles are on this engine? Did the engine look clean or did it have sludge build up nside when you had it disassembled? Did you inspect any of the crank or rod bearings? Can you isolate what on the right side is making the noise? In the valvetrain cylinder head or lower into the engine?

190k miles. Engine was clean inside. Bearings not looked at. Can't pinpoint the noise as it is very loud.

Other than the noise, does it run smooth or does it run rough?

Smooth. Engine doesn't shake.

Ok well the oil pressure is way to low. Did you replace the timing chain and tensionser since you found play in the chain or only the oil pump?

I'm sorry, when I said I put in a complete timing set I thought that was a known quantity of parts. I put in both chains, guides, tensioners, cam sprockets and crank sprocket.

Ok, See if you can localize the noise to a cylinder. when the engine is running you can unplug either a fuel injector or ignition coil. If the noise goes away when it misfires on that cylinder, the noise is from that cylinder piston or rod bearing. If it doesnt go away it is in the valve train. But before you go crazy, double check the oil pressure again with another known good gauge just to make sure there isnt a problem with the tool. If it runs smooth thats a good thing but the noise is concerning. If there is a noise and low oil pressure then you need to drop the pan and look at the crank, rod and main bearings. Which isnt easy to do in a van or unless you pull the motor.

What part(s) of the valve train woukd I look at to find the noise?

Worn camshaft lobe/worn rocker arm roller. Damage to the valves in the cylinder head.

Does this engine have hydraulic lifters?

Yes. so if the oil pressure is low all the lifters are probably making some noise. A stethescope can help localize the source of a noise.

The lifters sit on top of the valve spring as lifter buckets.

Thought so. Not getting any noise from left bank. Does this conversation stay in my account for future reference?

Yes it does. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating. Just respond back to this question if you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

Finally got around to testing. Still low oil pressure and the noise did not go away on any of the passenger side cylinders.