Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My clutch isn't fully releasing and wont go into gear

Customer Question
My clutch isn't fully...

My clutch isn't fully releasing and wont go into gear without severe grinding and shuddering and almost dies when pedal is pushed down

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Had a new clutch installed right before I bought it no slipping sometimes miss a gear when shifting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2000 ford mustang v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Tried self adjust procedure new cable wd40 in cable ratcheting adjusted on bar behind pedal

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/22/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 3 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** long has this been happening? Did it happen all of a sudden? Is it a stock clutch that is in the car now or a aftermarket one?

for a few days now was told it has a cvt clutch in it now so i would guess an aftermarket clutch

Does the clutch pedal feel normal when pressing down on it, other than the not releasing, does the clutch pedal feel tight or stiff?

Feels normal

Ok since you have already tried adjusting the cable with no success, and the clutch feels normal, I would pull the transmission and inspect the pressure plate, pilot bearing, check the splines. You may have a loose pressure plate bolt, or disc that has too much runout causing the drag when trying to engage gears.

I​ would even suggest going back to a stock clutch, the stock clutches work so much better, I have always had problem with chatter and engagement concerns with the aftermarket clutches.

A​ny more questions just ask, all I ask is you take the time to rate my help today, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

Y​ou can always ask follow questions up after rating.

Let me know if you need some instructions also.

I don't have the expertise to pull a tranny. This is shitty advice. I'm not paying $36 for this.
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I may have one more suggestion, Do you have the car up in the air, or you have a ramp you can get the drivers side up in the air on ?

Where the cable comes into the bellhousing there, there is a cover, There's a hole the cable goes in, and if you take some flat washers and cut a slot in them to go around the cable, you can space that cable out and make it tighter there, to give the release bearing some more "throw" Look at where the cable attaches at the clutch fork, make sure nothing is bent there.

I can essentially put "spacers where it stretches to the fork and take the slack out soit fully engages? I thought about that but wasn't sure I could do it and not mess something up

You can, I would at this point at least space it 1/4 to a 1/2 inch and see if it makes any difference at all. Also, push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and then side step it, let it pop back up into place, sometimes that is what that ratchet needs to adjust itself they way it's supposed to .

Is there any other procedures to adjust clutch cable if that doesn't work? Besides pull up on pedal I mean.

Not really. It's supposed to be fully self adjusting, but I've found that side stepping the clutch and letting it pop back up quickly sometimes helps that self adjusting feature out more.

Ok thank you i will try doing the spacers idea.

Absolutely, Thank you and best wishes.

Let me know if side stepping helps out any. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't though.