Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 explorer has started throwing itself into low while…

Customer Question
My 2002 explorer has...

My 2002 explorer has started throwing itself into low while I'm driving and then it won't go forward or reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I just had a new battery installed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic and he couldn't check the transmission. It was locked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all that is going on. Thanks.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 5 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Hello, is it a 2 or*****vehicle? No warning lights on or diagnostic trouble codes stored? What do you mean the transmission is locked up? It's stuck in one gear?
Sorry. I had to go meet the tow truck. 4x4. No warning lights. The mechanic said he could not check the transmission. Ford has it set up where only a dealer can check it.

Ok do you mean checking the fluid level? Any shop an check it if thats the case if they know what they are doing. Does it drive ok and has all it gears but it dumps into a lower gear at times? Does it do it once in awhile?