Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I received a quote to replace my fuel pump and fuel pump…

I received a quote...

I received a quote to replace my fuel pump and fuel pump relay and the band that goes around the gas tank. Oil change also. On a 2007 ford expedition is that accurate?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Up until today it was starting fine. roughly 117,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i had it towed to sevice

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Service center, sorry. No that's pretty much it. Thank You!!!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

The tank does have to come down on this model to replace the pump. What estimate did they give you? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
$1278.40
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i don't want to pay anymore money

Alright, please disregard that automated pop up ad, Is this at a dealership? do you know if they are using a genuine motorcraft fuel pump or not? motorcraft pumps are higher than aftermarket is why I'm asking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no its not a dealer. its possible they could be using motorcraft parts, don't no for sure,

Showing 3.0 hours to replace the fuel pump factory time. and .3 tenths to replace the relay. allow 1 hour diagnostic charge and that is generous. The band is overlapping labor, so no additional labor there is warranted in my opinion. Did the vehicle shut off going down the road and stall? or is the pump noisey? Why did they need to replace it? thank you.

If the truck is running fine, then I just want to make sure they are replacing it for good reason and not "recommending" it for some reason.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the car would not start so i had it towed to the service center
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are with me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you with me

Alright, yes, I'm here, sorry for the delay. I understand. If it's not at a dealer, and they are not using a motorcraft pump, then I do believe the price is a bit much. Are you in the middle of a big city? then it's usually more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm switching to my I phone

Alright, I can only verify 4 hours labor on this job, and that again in my opinion is generous. Do you know the shops hourly labor rate, it shouldn't be over 100$, and usually independents are around 70-80$ per hour.

Again, if it's in a big city or up north, labor rates are generally higher in those areas.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I’m not in a city
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don’t no there labor rate

Alright, If the labor rate is 100$ or less, then I really can't verify more than a 400$ labor charge here, 400$ in parts in my opinion is likely a fair price for the parts involved, Even with tax and shop materials and the oil change, I believe this estimate is a bit higher than it should be, I'm saying 300$ to high at least. So if you wanted to get another opinion, or at least call the service manager and ask him to break down the cost of parts and labor and explain it a little more. if there was any rust involved in removing the tank or something out of the ordinary like that I may be able to see it, but if it's a simple fuel pump, relay and oil change, then I believe it's a bit high. Does that help answer your question? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much for help!!!

Absolutely, Thank you, if your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need any further help just let us know.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician