Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have an 89 ford taurus (!) (dont ask) in excellent shape…

Customer Question
have an 89 ford taurus...
have an 89 ford taurus (!) (dont ask) in excellent shape that was running fine when parked about two years ago, maybe longer, but which is not cooperating now. has fresh plugs from not long ago, same-same for fuel pump, fairly new batt freshly charged, but ... did not drain/refill tank. oops. wasn't much gas in tank; not much now. but occurs that may have varnish goop in bottom, maybe sucked into wherever. anyway, prolly should empty tank as completely as can (quest 1: best way to do this) and clean/clear injectors, etc (quest 2: how to do this). have no doubts will run again just fine. don't really want to hire mobile mechanic or tow. hep me, hep me.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/22/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The best way to clean the tank is to remove it and then remove the fuel pump sending unit assembly and take the tank to a radiator shop and have them did it for you. If it gets in the fuel pump sock it can restrict the fuel flow. Are you needing the steps remove the fuel pump?