Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Lincoln town car airbag codes see 1818 C 1897 this is…

2001 Lincoln town car airbag...
2001 Lincoln town car airbag codes see 1818 C 1897 this is the one I put the new air pump on
3/22/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is the compressor coming on and raising the car?

The compressor comes on yes but it still seems a half an inch low in the back but the shocks in the rear are covered with oil so I was wondering if those being bad it’s putting stress on the airbag

Yes if the shock are leaking then that can affect the compressor performance so I would address them first and see if any code reset.

Now the shocks are connected to the airbag system are they I mean they don’t receive air Do they

No the shocks only absorb the ride and they do not get air but usually when you replace then you replace the complete assembly. The other option you may want to consider is the sell a spring kit to do away with the air suspension completely.

How much is that and how much labor
What are the codes saying

The code C1818 is still indicating a problem with the compressor. The code C1897 is indicating a problem with the STEERING VAPS II CIRCUIT. See the testing steps in the link below for both codes.

See the code C1897 in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1serzgfu3sdl7wb/C1897%20mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

See the C1818 in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve3t3n43qwyem0y/C1818%20Mar%2022.pdf?dl=0

As long as the back isn’t dropping is it safe for her to drive

Yes as long as it's not dropping its safe to drive.

If I put shocks on it because that’s probably the cheapest way for her right now she’s a widow is the Munro ultras good enough or do they need to be better than that

Monroes Ultras are a good brand and installing the retro kit is a good idea, the car is getting at the age where the electronics for the suspension system are going to start becoming hard to get as well.

if I buy the kit they come with the shocks

Yes if you buy the kit, it comes with everything needed including the shocks.

Are the springs hard to put in place I’ve never done that before
I’ll be doing it off the ground

Its very doable on the ground with a good jack.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ok

Thank you .

55357;�

Your very welcome.