Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Short story or story? Do I need to sign up on this site

Customer Question
Short story or long...

Short story or long story? Do I need to sign up on this site first?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I have several paragraphs of info describing my situation

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/22/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 month ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Tell me year ,make and model of car, vin# ***** possible and describe the issue you having with it and I will try to help you

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2007 Ford E150, 4.6L Engine, 98960 miles 6/20/17 At my wits end with this truck - experiencing random/intermittent stalls and forced engine shutdowns. No real pattern on when it occurs, sometimes it does it's thing on first startup, other times not. The truck runs smooth as silk when it's NOT stalling. When it does stall/stumble, I turn the key off & start back up - sometimes it returns to normal right away, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 cycles of key on off cycles. I have a decent scan tool, the Ford service manuals AND the PC/ED loaded on a laptop. I have replaced a ton of parts through this process (to no avail so far) which I don't mind so much because they're mostly all parts I would be replacing eventually anyway (I purchased this vehicle used a year ago). Seems to be fuel delivery related, but could realistically be ANYTHING. Here's the list of items replaced so far - Spark Plugs, Coil Packs, Air & Fuel Filters, PCM (Engine Computer), EGR Valve, MAF, All 4 O2 Sensors, Alternator, Serpentine Belt, Pulley & Tensioner Assembly, Fuel Pump, battery, throttle body, fuel injectors, accelerator pedal, fuel rail pressure/temp sensor, fuel pump driver module. Many of these parts were as a result of what I would consider "phantom DTCs" as none of the parts have solved the problem. 3/21/18 I'm sure this is going to be something completely ridiculous and simple - IF and when it's ever resolved! The most common (and current) DTCs that appear after shutdown are as follows: P0600, P061B, P2105, P2107. The P0600 points directly to a bad PCM which is the first thing I replaced when this first started a year ago. Since then, I have swapped the old with the new several times to no avail, resulting in the same behavior more or less each time. Have checked (many, not all) grounds, fuses, relays and circuits and have yet to find anything of note. Have just recently found the fuel pressure mechanically tested low compared to the fuel pressure reported by the FPTS on the rail, which would make sense because when the vehicle does it's thing, it does seem to be starving for fuel. Well, replaced the FPTS and got excited when I just happened to reset the IFS and observed the fuel pressure to be MUCH more stable and responsive - it runs absolutely perfect and better than ever as a result of the replacement of all these parts. However, upon taking the next test drive, to my disappointment, the same engine shutdown behavior happened again (with the IFS circuit jumped). One other item of note - occasionally the shutdown will be preceeded by the transmission being totally disengaged. All of this behavior goes away after one (usually, sometimes 2 or 3) off/on key cycles. Never experienced anything like this in my life, and is very stressful because the random, unexpected shutdowns are potentially very dangerous out in traffic. I'm not holding out much hope this can be resolved, but, maybe your vast experience as a Ford Tech can help.

Click on link to view PDF file for Step By step troubleshoot for DTC P061B

1- Do you have a Ford capable scanner to read all the ford truck module ,not just engine control module, Because that is all I See you are getting, are you using like a basic code reader ?

2- ETC and PCM wiring , Unplug both and check wires for continuity between pcm and etc

3-When You are cycling the ignition switch , things go back to normal, that means we have Module , wiring or a Can bus line issue , between ETC and PCM or IP panel ,

lets start here

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Chad, yes I have a scanner that can read all the modules. Every circuit I have checked for the past year have been good, including checking the PCM grounds this am. I don't see a link to a pdf.

I m sorry , try the link now ,

ok how about IP panel , security module ,

what are the TPS voltage reading when you pull up on the scanner ?

Can you run the Pin point Test

let me know

EATC TO PCM ,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW , I M INTERESTED IN THESE WIRES BETWEEN THE PCM AND ETC

6 WIRES FROM PCM TO ETC

WHAT DO WE HAVE ON THESE WIRES , WHEN YOU THROTTLE UP THE TPS ,ONE SHOULD GO UP AND ONE GO DOWN ARE THEY

IS THE ETC MOTOR BEING POWERED UP ?

I THINK TPSRTN WIRE IS NOT SENDING A SIGNAL OR LOSING A SIGNAL AT TIME OF FAILURE

THIS WILL REQUIRE SOME BACK AND FORTH HERE AND I DO NOT PROMISE YOU ANYTHING :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, yes I have checked the 6 wires to the TPC, also SIGRTN. I do have the wiring diagrams and the PC-ED loaded on laptop. The ETC functions properly when testing, however it's kind of hard when driving & it happens. What is the IP panel?

Instrument panel

with your laptop scanner that is a module you can read for faults

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, yes I have checked the 6 wires to the TPC, also SIGRTN. I do have the wiring diagrams and the PC-ED loaded on laptop. The ETC functions properly when testing, however it's kind of hard when driving & it happens. What is the IP panel?OK, got it Instrument Cluster - I will check

ok , let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, yes I have checked the 6 wires to the TPC, also SIGRTN. I do have the wiring diagrams and the PC-ED loaded on laptop. The ETC functions properly when testing, however it's kind of hard when driving & it happens. What is the IP panel?OK, got it Instrument Cluster - I will checkOK, IC codes - B1352-30, B1319-70, B1327-70
VSM codes - B1359, B1363

B1327 ,1319 ,COURTESY LAMP ISSUE, WANT MAKE IT DO THAT BUT B1352 WILL

B1352 IS IGNITION CIRCUIT FAILURE , FOR THAT WE RUN PIN PIN TEST A

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW

ONE OF THE POSSIBLE CAUSES IS IP ,INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ,BUT RUN TEST FIRST WE HAVE OTHERS

LET ME KNOW

Normal Operation
When the key is inserted into the ignition lock cylinder, the key-in-ignition warning switch (part of the ignition lock cylinder) grounds circuit 158 (BK/PK). The ground input signals the instrument cluster the key is inserted. If the instrument cluster detects that the ignition switch is in the OFF or ACC position with the key inserted in the ignition lock cylinder and the driver door is ajar, the key-in-ignition warning chime sounds.

DTC B1352 - is a continuous and on-demand DTC that sets if the instrument cluster detects that the vehicle is in the RUN or START position without a ground applied to the key-in-ignition input, circuit 158 (BK/PK).

Possible Causes
- Circuit 158 (BK/PK) open
- Key-in-ignition warning switch (part of the ignition lock cylinder)
- Instrument cluster

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.

Yes it will, lets replace the ignition part of the switch that is sloppy , we still have 2 more possibilities ,if ip losing ignition key signal , it will do that

that explains when it runs , it runs great like you said

its like turning key off while driving the feel of it when it happens ,my experience

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.I will have to order one in - so if the IC detects the missing ignition key connection, it will cause the whole engine management system to shut down?

offcourse , do you have shop ?

the ip needs programing ,can your scanner do it , it should ?

i send them out for rebuilds ,come back to you,be plug and play ,no scanner needed, try ebay ,search for ip rebuild for year make model ,, you can mail yours in and they overnight you another one u provide vin# ***** mileage

check the connector back of ip , look at pins for any backed out making poor connection, use a flash light to shine thru connector ,in the naked eye hard to see

That is all I know to tell you on it ,hope it works ,but I believe it has 2 be between these 3 , the ip is the most common my experience and based on the symptom and what u described

Read below how to get back in touch with me anytime you want

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.I will have to order one in - so if the IC detects the missing ignition key connection, it will cause the whole engine management system to shut down?So are you saying that in addition to replacing the lock cylinder, I definitely need to reprogram the IC

there is 3 possibilities, ip , Part of ignition lock cylinder and or open in the BK/PK wire open .

I don't not believe we have an open here , so it has to be the ignition part of switch and or IP panel, and yes the IP needs programing you can not just swap it with a used one that is what I m saying .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.I will have to order one in - so if the IC detects the missing ignition key connection, it will cause the whole engine management system to shut down?So are you saying that in addition to replacing the lock cylinder, I definitely need to reprogram the ICSo, just to make sure I understand, I will first replace the ignition cylinder and see if the DTC goes away. If the problem disappears, then I'm done. If the problem still exists after the lock replacement, then I need to check/reprogram/replace the IC?

Yes sir that is 100% correct ,sorry was not clear but yes exactly right

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.I will have to order one in - so if the IC detects the missing ignition key connection, it will cause the whole engine management system to shut down?So are you saying that in addition to replacing the lock cylinder, I definitely need to reprogram the ICSo, just to make sure I understand, I will first replace the ignition cylinder and see if the DTC goes away. If the problem disappears, then I'm done. If the problem still exists after the lock replacement, then I need to check/reprogram/replace the IC?Thank you Chad, I will pick up a switch tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.

ok sounds good , i m crossing my fingers :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.I will have to order one in - so if the IC detects the missing ignition key connection, it will cause the whole engine management system to shut down?So are you saying that in addition to replacing the lock cylinder, I definitely need to reprogram the ICSo, just to make sure I understand, I will first replace the ignition cylinder and see if the DTC goes away. If the problem disappears, then I'm done. If the problem still exists after the lock replacement, then I need to check/reprogram/replace the IC?Thank you Chad, I will pick up a switch tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.Fri. 3:15 pm - Hello Chad, replaced the ignition lock cylinder, cleared the codes, retested and the B1352 code went away. Warmed it up for a good long time (ran pretty ragged for a good while and finally settled down) and took a test drive of about 3 miles (one way, 6 miles total) and it did shut down on me twice on the way back. Got it home and did a full scan of all the modules: ABS and VSM modules, no fault. IC - B1319 and B1327 which are the driver & passenger door ajar which was there before. RC module (which I had not scanned before) - B1342 and B1891. PCM - Curiously, just the P061B-FF (usually would throw the P0600 with the P061) and of course the P1000FF, readiness test not complete due to the fact it has not been driven much since I swapped the PCM. So, there's the report - let me know what you think. Thanks

Hey man how are you

Ok since B1353 went away that is good , then we move to B1342 , remember all the P0600 and P061b , it tells you in the steps ,if these faults are present with other faults go to next dtc B faults , so we are interested in B Faults , for now

but it did need the igntion since the code did not come back

I BELIEVE THE IP PANEL WILL FIX IT , I SUGGEST YOU SEND YOUR OUT FOR REBUILD IF YOU CAN NOT PROGRAM ON WITH YOUR SCANNER

and why not fix B1319 And B1327 you are right they are switches ,but i do not want these interfering with our ip and they could so fix that 2

door ajar switches easy to replace

Let me know what happens

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VSM codes - B1359, B1363So this B1352 condition could be related to the engine shutdown condition? With the key in the ignition the whole assembly is a little sloppy - I can see the connection on live data bouncing off and on.I will have to order one in - so if the IC detects the missing ignition key connection, it will cause the whole engine management system to shut down?So are you saying that in addition to replacing the lock cylinder, I definitely need to reprogram the ICSo, just to make sure I understand, I will first replace the ignition cylinder and see if the DTC goes away. If the problem disappears, then I'm done. If the problem still exists after the lock replacement, then I need to check/reprogram/replace the IC?Thank you Chad, I will pick up a switch tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.Fri. 3:15 pm - Hello Chad, replaced the ignition lock cylinder, cleared the codes, retested and the B1352 code went away. Warmed it up for a good long time (ran pretty ragged for a good while and finally settled down) and took a test drive of about 3 miles (one way, 6 miles total) and it did shut down on me twice on the way back. Got it home and did a full scan of all the modules: ABS and VSM modules, no fault. IC - B1319 and B1327 which are the driver & passenger door ajar which was there before. RC module (which I had not scanned before) - B1342 and B1891. PCM - Curiously, just the P061B-FF (usually would throw the P0600 with the P061) and of course the P1000FF, readiness test not complete due to the fact it has not been driven much since I swapped the PCM. So, there's the report - let me know what you think. ThanksOK, so the B1319 and the B1327 "theoretically" can probably be solved by replacing the switches, no problem doing that. How does the rebuilding of the IC become necessary if the 2 door switches clear the codes?
Regarding the 2 RC Module faults, how does that situation effect the engine shutdown problem? Both of the codes seem to say the ECU - RC Module is faulted and needs to be replaced.

Because of B1342

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILE AND TO SHOW THE DTC DESCRIPTION AND THE ACTION NEEDS TAKEN

TELLS YOU TO REPAIR OTHER DTC AND IF B1342 COMES REPLACE IP

I M NOT MAKING IT UP .LOL

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW FILE

LET ME KNOW

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Regarding the 2 RC Module faults, how does that situation effect the engine shutdown problem? Both of the codes seem to say the ECU - RC Module is faulted and needs to be replaced.Yes, it does say replace IC on B1342 sent from IC Module, but this code is being reported from the RC module, NOT the IC module. See Restraints Control Module DTC chart under the Supplemental Restraint System section.

Hmm, I agree :)

I looked it up and you are correct it is reporting it from rcm module ALSO

BUT WE BOTH KNOW THAT THIS MODULE WILL AND SHOULD NOT MAKE TRUCK DIES ,AT LEAST FROM WHAT I KNOW

BUT B1342 UNDER RM , CALLS FOR PIN POINT TEST A ,IF I UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY , YOU PULLING THE FAULT UNDER RM ,AND WHEN SCAN IP MODULE NO DTC ( IS THAT CORRECT ?)

BUT ALSO REPORT ON SEVERAL OTHER MODULES ,MY THINKING IS WE CONCENTRATE ON THE MODULE THAT COULD CAUSE THE ISSUE,L;IKE IP IS MORE LIKELY THEN ,LIKE B1342 FOR AUDIO, THAT IS NOT LIKELY ,OR COLLISION ,ABS ,ETC ,READ BELOW ,I SENT YOU TEST A , RUN IT ,

Testing and Inspection (8)

• Body Control Systems

ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) >> B Code Charts (Testing and Inspection) >> B1342

• Warning Devices

• Air Bag Systems

• Audio Unit

• Instrument Cluster

• Collision Avoidance and Parking Assist Systems

• Anti-Lock Control W/ Traction Control and Stability Assist

ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) >> B Code Charts (Testing and Inspection) >> B1342 >> Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems

• A Caution About Trouble Code Numbering

RCM TEST

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Regarding the 2 RC Module faults, how does that situation effect the engine shutdown problem? Both of the codes seem to say the ECU - RC Module is faulted and needs to be replaced.Yes, it does say replace IC on B1342 sent from IC Module, but this code is being reported from the RC module, NOT the IC module. See Restraints Control Module DTC chart under the Supplemental Restraint System section."BUT B1342 UNDER RM , CALLS FOR PIN POINT TEST A ,IF I UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY , YOU PULLING THE FAULT UNDER RM ,AND WHEN SCAN IP MODULE NO DTC" - Correct, just the 2 door ajar codes from the IC module.

okay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Regarding the 2 RC Module faults, how does that situation effect the engine shutdown problem? Both of the codes seem to say the ECU - RC Module is faulted and needs to be replaced.Yes, it does say replace IC on B1342 sent from IC Module, but this code is being reported from the RC module, NOT the IC module. See Restraints Control Module DTC chart under the Supplemental Restraint System section."BUT B1342 UNDER RM , CALLS FOR PIN POINT TEST A ,IF I UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY , YOU PULLING THE FAULT UNDER RM ,AND WHEN SCAN IP MODULE NO DTC" - Correct, just the 2 door ajar codes from the IC module.OK, thank you Chad. I am going to first focus on clearing the IC door ajar codes first since, as you say, focus on the module that could most likely contribute to the engine shutdown issues.

you welcome ,let me know how it turns out

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Regarding the 2 RC Module faults, how does that situation effect the engine shutdown problem? Both of the codes seem to say the ECU - RC Module is faulted and needs to be replaced.Yes, it does say replace IC on B1342 sent from IC Module, but this code is being reported from the RC module, NOT the IC module. See Restraints Control Module DTC chart under the Supplemental Restraint System section."BUT B1342 UNDER RM , CALLS FOR PIN POINT TEST A ,IF I UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY , YOU PULLING THE FAULT UNDER RM ,AND WHEN SCAN IP MODULE NO DTC" - Correct, just the 2 door ajar codes from the IC module.OK, thank you Chad. I am going to first focus on clearing the IC door ajar codes first since, as you say, focus on the module that could most likely contribute to the engine shutdown issues.OK Chad, back with the latest report - bet you wish you had never heard from me eh :-)
So, I went back and fiddled with the door jamb switches, tested and reported no fault. Erased all codes, did a full scan (cold engine) of all 5 modules and only came back with the P1000, which is to be expected. Started and warmed up vehicle, turned off and on, re scanned all modules - at this point, all modules show clear. Took another 6 mile test drive with basically the same results as yesterday, on the way back shut down 3 or 4 times - can kind of induce a shutdown by trying a medium hard throttle. Got it back and pulled the following codes from the PCM - P0600, P061B, P1000, P2105, P2107 - the other 4 modules are all clear. This sequence of codes have been very common through this whole year long nightmare, which is what caused me to begin with the new PCM, and by the way, basically can get the same results (more or less) with the old PCM.
Back to you!
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 30 days ago

I told you all i know ,after that I will be guessing .lol

At this time I will opt out of your question and open it for other expert to assist you on it further

Please do not reply back to me since it will lock question back to my screen and other expert want see your question to assist you further on it

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat