Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 expedition 5.4 AC installed new compressor, blew lines…

2001 expedition 5.4 AC installed...
2001 expedition 5.4 AC installed new compressor, blew lines out, has rear unit as well, changed orifice tube, unit is supposed to take 62 ounces Freon, it will only take approx. 12 ounces, I vac out for 20 minutes, Pressure is high on low side an low on high side . im stumped,
3/22/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The pressures that you have are indicating that the compressor is not coming on. This could be due to a few things. Since you have replaced the compressor, I am assuming that the you are not getting the proper ground and power to the clutch. Have you inspected the pressure switches to see if they are functioning?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
clutch is cycling on and off. will only take 1.5 cans and stops filling.

I will opt out of this one. Another expert will be along shortly.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, do you still need help with this concern? Why did you replace the compressor, it it fail mechanically? Was the orifice tube full of metal shavings? Are you inverting the cans of freon to charge with liquid through the low side?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the orifice had metal and installed new compressor. i am turning cans upside down and shaking them . i blew all the lines out no metal detected anywhere else

Ok but you didnt change anything in the rear ac system, the rear expansion valve or the front condensor? It is a new ac compressor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
didnt know there was another expansion valve in the rear. where would it be located? yes new compressor.
On the rear evaporator inside the vehicle..you have to disassemble the rear interior panels to get to it. Since the low side is high. It doesn't sound like it is running through the compressor properly. The compressor pulls in on the low side and discharge s higher pressure on the high side. So either there is a restriction in the manifold line going into the compressor, you added too much oil to the school system or new compressor or there is a blockage elsewhere in the system. When the compressor grenades you should change the rear expansion valve. I'll have to double check on the condenser if you give me a few minutes

I dont see any issues with not being able to clean the condenser so what I mentioned in my last response is what to look at

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help. Well worth the cost. have a wonderful night. I believe its the other orifice as you said.

You are welcome, if you still have trouble and you can blow through everything with a flush solvent, look at the compressor as possibly being defective. Thank you.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans