Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I can't get the key to turn in my 2008 ford Taurus. I think…

I can't get the...

I can't get the key to turn in my 2008 ford Taurus. I think it has something to do with the auto set up because my seat keeps moving back and forth sometimes. the same thing happened weeks/month ago. I tried the valet key and broke it. don't know what I did or how long I waited but eventually the regular key worked. don't want to break it what can I do

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Turns minimally like it is locked. don't think it is but I felt it would break if I persisted in forcing it just like last time when the valet key broke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure what you meant it is night and I am just trying to start the car

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, is the key pretty worn down? Do you have more than one key and does it have the same results? When does the seat move back and forth, when putting the key in the ignition or when it turns?Have you tried spraying some penetrant into the ignition key tumbler on the column?

don't think it is worn down seat started to move back and forth while I was trying to turn the key have not sprayed anything wonder why my key worked eventually last time

Do you have another key to try?

no other key broke the valet key last time this happened a little later I got the original key to work

Ok I would first try spraying some lubricant into the key cylinder and slide the key in and out to work it into the tumbler. If this doesnt help, The ignition tumbler needs to be replaced and 2 new keys should be made. A local locksmith can come to you and do this cheaper than going to a dealer and program 2 new keys for the vehicle.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Hello?

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans