Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 94 ranger and im not sure which direction to

I have a 94...

I have a 94 ranger and im not sure which direction to install the replacement center support bearing. On one side of the bearing the rubber insulator is flat around the bearing and the metal ring it came with fits perfectly around that side of the insulator. On the other side the insulator is flanged around the bearing; is this the side that faces towards the rear, with the ring facing the front?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, so far ive installed the exact same bearing which got ruined within 20 miles of driving. The shaft completely slipped out of the insulator with the bearing. It made me think i installed it backwards.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck has a lift kit in front.

3/22/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Great, thanks!

Hello, this is such an older model, the information is limited. Below is a you tube video showing the replacement of the center bearing. One thing to watch with the lift kit is if the driveshaft angles are correct and not excessive. If they are putting strain on the joints of the center bearing it can cause premature failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwXYOtmu7AQ

Ive seen that video, it doesnt help because the replacement i got from autozone is completely different than the one in the video. Thanks though

Is this 2 or***** What engine is in hte vehicle and is it a manual or automatic transmission?

2wd, 4.0 v6 auto.

Ok bear with me a few minutes to see if I can find some better diagrams for you.

I figured it out, the open flange goes facing the front of the truck with the ring before it. Thanks anyway!

Thats what I thought, was just trying to find an accurate diagram for you. Ok.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans