Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT that has a horrible rear end…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT that has a horrible rear end wining noise. It has 115,000 miles on it. One owner. Have been told this is a normal complaint with this year. Something to do with the rear end differential. My question is what will happen if I continue to drive it without having this repair done which is not an option as the price to repair it is more than the value of the auto.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not qualified at 69 yrs old and being a female to fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it dangerous for me to continue to drive it. On the interstate the noise is horrible. I'm afraid it might cause me to have a accident. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to buy another vehicle.

3/21/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

The noise could be from one of the rear wheel bearings. Those are common to go bad as well as the rear differential. the rear differential pinion bearings go bad. If that is the case and it is continued to be driven then the rear end could eventually come apart and the truck will not move.. So I would make sure the rear wheel bearings are checked before condemning the rear differential.

Had wheel hub assembly rwd front both sides replaced 6/17. Is this what ur referring to. What would be a expected cost to have the repairs done.

You had the front hubs or rear wheel bearings replaced already?

If the rear wheel bearings need to be replaced the price for parts and labor is about 700 dollars.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician