Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 93' F150 4x4 5.0L When I start it up it will run

I have 93' F150...

I have 93' F150 4x4 5.0L When I start it up it will run rough,spitter sputter,and smell gas.It did this several times when I tried to start it.I checked the Distributor,plugs,wires and all are good.I went back and started it again and issue was gone and ran smooth. Now today it is doing it again.Not sure where to start looking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts fine,idles rough

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

3/21/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

While it's idling now, does it look like it's puffing any black smoke? like it's running rich at idle? also, is the check engine light on now when it's idling?

Check engine light is always on
But it seems that if I take a heater and blow warm air into the intake for a few minutes the takebheater away it puurrs like a kitten

That's interesting. pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator, you see any raw fuel come out of the regulator?

We need to know what code is stored. I think that could point us in the right direction on what is out of range making it run bad.

I checked that and no fuel
That take an OBD 1 reader correct?
I did have to disconnect the heater hoses that go to the throttle body because the metal 90’s on the TB had holes in them blowing coolant everywhere

Alright, I understand, once it gets warmed up though, should run great without those hoses warming up the T body, How about the MAP sensor over on the firewall, is that vacuum line hooked up and in good shape with no holes in it?

it is. Just weird. First time it’s done this in almost 2 years since bypassing those hoses

It takes a specific ford scan tool I got a cheap one for like 30$, but you can also JUMP the STI to the STO connector under the hood and count the check engine lights. Here is a youtube video on that. But it's a little bit tricky to do and keep up with the counting procedure as these are 5 digit codes. Here is the link if you want to try to scan it and see what codes are being set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04NPv_gXsI

I didn't mean 5 digit, I meant 3 digit.

Yea. I’ll give it a shot. Thank tou
You

It could have a bad map, or an injector leaking down. injector stuck or dirty would dump fuel after you shut it off.

It does run better warmed up though? onces it's at operating temperature?

Only smell fuel while it’s idiling rough and then I put the heater blower on it and it’s runs fine,no fuel smell
It just seems like it needs some warm air to get it going, Maybe I need to repair/replace the metal elbows and heaters hoses to the throttle body. I don’t see how that can help with start up if it’s cold, still takes a few minutes for the engine to generate enough heat to heat the water up to an effective temp. But I may be wrong

OK, that does sound like it runs rich when you first fire it up. Try to get the codes out of it and see what is stored, which I think will help pinpoint the problem. If it is a MAP sensor, O2 sensor, possibly even an ECT sensor that would help explain it. Also a fuel pressure test would show if an injector is leaking down. I have pulled the fuel rail up, and put some cardboard under it, then you shut the engine off and see if the injectors leak down onto the cardboard after the engine is shut down. Here is a list of the codes. if you get the codes out and check them with this list I think that will help solve it.

http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/3digit.html

I think you'll find the problem in those steps. barring any compression or base engine, valve train issue etc. Let us know if you have any further questions, If your all set please don't forget to rate the question with one of the star icons at the top of the page. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Than you I will investigate all of your suggestions

Thank you.