Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 f350 diesel blows ignition fuse immediately when I turn…

Customer Question
2002 f350 diesel blows...

2002 f350 diesel blows ignition fuse immediately when I turn the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Park

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. I can't find a good wiring diagram. seems like power goes through fuse to the key, then from key, to relay in fuse panel? problem is, i removed all the relays in fuse panel and it still blows fuse when i turn to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Took column cover off and can't find frayed or shorted wires

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model?

Also can you tell me what fuse this is exactly and the fuse location and amperage?

Let me know,thanks Pete

it has the 7.3L diesel engine. this fuse is the 4th one up on the right side of fuse box. I can drive back down to my storage lot and try to get a fuse number if need be. it only goes hot in start 15 amp

Let me look at some diagrams on this real quick.I will post back here shortly.

Thanks Pete

its either fuse 30 or 31.
I think its going to be fuse 31, the third one up from the bottom
shift lock fuse

Is this interior fuse panel or under hood fuse panel?

interior. it doesn't have one under the hood. they did away with that after '01
its definitely shift interlock fuse f2.31 (or "#31")

O.k, thanks for that info.My info was showing a separate fuse panel under the hood but it was conflicting so I wanted to make sure.

This fuse feeds these components:

Digital transmission range sensor

Four-wheel drive control module

Each of these needs to be unplugged one at a time then a new fuse installed.Once the component you have unplugged that does not cause the fuse too short out is found that component will need to be replaced.

The only other cause this would be is a short in the white/pink or white/black wire leading from this fuse to those two components above.

In allot of cases it can be the four-wheel drive control module causing this fault needing replaced.Below is a diagram of this fuse layout so you can see what it feeds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znrhsv4l7fp5qv2/fuse31-03-21.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete