Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Ford a Taurus 3.0 -- Totally lost power while on

freeway, didn't die. Stayed running...
2001 Ford a Taurus 3.0 -- Totally lost power while on freeway, didn't die. Stayed running, but nothing would happen when you pressed gas. Seemed to idle fine, just nothing when pressing gas. Now cranks but won't start. Please help diagnose.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, just gave bad info. One moment...

Stephen,

Okay let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't know if it was running or not when it died. Power was on (dash lights, etc.), Don't know if engine was on. Has battery voltage. Cranks but won't start. Seems to crank faster than I would expect.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hear fuel pump loud and clear.

Which 3.0 is this, give me the 8th number in your vin.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Number is ***** It has spark.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No engine codes.

Okay if you have spark and proper fuel pressure (35 to 55 PSI) and it seems to be cranking faster I would start with running a compression test to check for low compression which would indicate a timing chain concerns. The vin code 2 is the 3.0 with overhead valve and only one chain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do I check for pressure on this one? I'm not seeing a standard port. And on a compression test, I always feel like I'm doing it wrong. Do I pull just one plug, at a time, or pull all plugs out at once and test each cylinder?

To do a compression test you will want to remove all 6 spark plug, then install your compression gauge in each cylinder and crank the engine 4 to 5 complete revolutions to get the compression reading. Record each and post back with the results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where do I check for fuel pressure on this one? I'm not seeing a standard port.

You should have a fuel pressure service port on the injector rail. See the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/beqmd5o243q9i0w/pressure%20port%20Mar%2021.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx. So, my fairly expensive compression test kit apparently doesn't have an adapter for this car. I think I've run into this before with another Ford, and no one could tell me what kind of adapter I need. What kind of compression tester adapter do I need for this, do you know? The way Ford did their spark plug Wells on this car, there is about a half an inch (or more) of smooth shaft before the threads even start, and so the threaded part of my adapters can't even make it to the threads to screw in. Any idea what the Ford adapter is called?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any other relatively simple ways to see if it's a timing chain?

There should be no special adapter needed to run a compression test on your 3.0. It should be the standard deep thread Ford fitting. There really is no other way to check the timing chain beside tearing the front cover besides the compression test. See the adapter you should need in the link below. It usually comes with a good set.

https://www.zoro.com/otc-compression-tester-ford-adapter-5607/i/G5788721/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Crap. Ok. I have one that looks like that that's an M16, but not an M14, which, I believe, is what I need.

Yes It should be the M14.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks. Pain in the butt. You're awesome as always. I'll rate you now but will probably need to ask follow-up questions later when I get the adapter. Thx, again.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, a couple of quick questions. What's the spark plug torque spec on this? And I'm assuming this IS an interference engine?

Spark plug tourque is 11 lb-ft and the Vulcan engine is not considered to be an interference engine.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician