Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Ford F350 non California emission as a 7.3 L…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Ford...
I have a 1999 Ford F350 non California emission as a 7.3 L diesel. It keeps shorting out one of the glow plug solenoid. Wiring diagram shows a blue wire coming off the solenoid but my wire is orange and or red. Also drains the battery down after about a day and a half. Put 2 new solenoids on it works one time then shorts the solenoid out.Wiring diagram shows a glow plug module and this truck does not have one. I can't even find the relay which may be my problem. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/21/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Here is the Ford wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7cg1xci69ynuw9/99glowplug.pdf?dl=0 It also has an issue. BY is supposed to be GY for gray. I have found often the glow plug wiring does not match the diagrams, but the purpose of the wire is the same. Also, the wires colors are going to fade and change being the vehicle is so old. Which wire is shorting out and damaging, color and or what does that wire do for the glow plug relay?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still pulling the wire loom apart, I will try to have the correct color wires that are the problem by tomorrow

Thanks for the update

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician