Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When it is cold (out side temp) when it is hot and my truck…

When it is cold...

When it is cold (out side temp) when it is hot and my truck has been running it will not restart once it is turned off. There is no lack of power when it is running (runs like a champ) if it is cold (outside) truck starts every time (again this isn't the trucks engine temp) this has to do with what the temp is out side. It will always start when engine is cold first time that day regardless what the outside temp is but if it is over 90 deg. out side and truck has been running for a half hour it wont start. Under 65 deg. out side it will start every time regardless how long it has been running. Everything has to do with outside temp. once truck is ice cold outside temp doesn't matter and it starts right up again. Never any lack of power when it is running ever. Power is being cut to pump when it wont start but I don't know what component is cutting power to pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

Coolant is fine just had radiator flushed two weeks ago. no leaks. this is intermittent. For two years now (because it's intermittent) no one can find it by the time it is towed to a shop the engine has cooled all the way down and it starts right up. Again this all has to do with (the out side temp) not the temp of the truck. Truck maintains an even temp. it never has over-heated, ever.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 F-250 lariat 5.4L V8 one problem I have is I cant get a straight answer as to where is the fuel pump relay is, seems Ford keeps moving these in different places for different years makes of truck etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor and this seem to fix it for maybe two weeks and (not a lot of real hot weather though) and then it started up again. moved relays around under the hood but that didn't seem to do anything but I know there are other relays. Again I don't know which is the fuel pump relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, it's not the fuel pump!!!!!

3/21/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Try this, get a fuel gauge and monitor the pressure with the key on and then again while idling so you know what you should see. There is a test port to connect to on the rail that supplies the injectors. Duplicate this issue where it will crank but not start. Is the fuel pressure low or none? If it is low or none then it is most likely the pump that is bad. The hardest time the pump has is startup, getting up to speed and making enough pressure. Once running the pump has no problem continuing. Add in an already hot pump and hot fuel that causes more resistance in the pump motor windings and makes it more difficult to get up to speed. In the event fuel pressure is fine during this issue then you need to see if the engine is missing ignition spark or injector pulse. Remember the only way to get accurate test results is to do the testing when it WILL NOT START.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This would be a test to see if maybe the fuel pump is failing. THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE. I know for a fact it is something that is cutting the electrical power to the fuel pump. There is NO fuel going to engine and brake stiffens up, not sure why those two things would be interconnected, but that's what happens. In fact when brake pedal is stiff I know before I even try to start it, it isn't going to start. It uses the very last bit of pressure of fuel in the line to get the engine almost to start but because the pump is off it immediately dies and will not start no matter how many times it is turned over until engine is completely cold then it start like there was never anything wrong.

I know for a fact it is something that is cutting the electrical power to the fuel pump. Did you come to this conclusion by crawling under the vehicle and testing the power and ground to the pump connector when the truck would not start?

The brake gets hard because the engine is not running and providing vacuum to the power brake booster.

If a call is needed, can I get your first name?

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What was the answer?
Phone call session started

You said my answer was wrong, so I replied with a response asking for more details and your name since you requested a call.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just call me please so we can talk.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't want to pay $26 for a text. Would could have just keep typing.

I have asked for your name twice already before I make the call.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gordon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gordon Owen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0c8vgh13ztf1f6/2018-03-21_020806.png?dl=0 How to test everything

https://www.dropbox.com/s/di6a8sjhl0fehm2/00FPR.pdf?dl=0 pump relay diagram

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0xzulvwbe9j5rv/00IFS.pdf?dl=0 inertia switch and pump diagram

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vv7wn309mf8cct/00FPR1.pdf?dl=0 relay location. In this block of years, it has been mounted in a few locations, all are in the enter of the dash, all below the radio. Some accessed from the floorboard, some through the panel under the steering column removed, and some access with the radio out. As mentioned, turn the hazards on and find the clicking noise, same relay block.

Gordon, what did you find wrong?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician