Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport trac, The vehicle would…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport trac, The vehicle would just cut off while driving and when I try to restart, it would not say anything. The wiring harness to the computer was replaced. The vehicle starting running again. However the next day, it did the same thing before the repairs. I went under hood and shook the wires to the harness. The vehicle started and I was able to drive. Now, if the vehicle doesn't start, I can shake the wiring harness and get it to crank. I was told that the problem is probably in the computer itself. However, I don't see how the problem can be in the computer when I can shake the wiring harness and the vehicle restarts. Please advise

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

The mechanic replaced the wiring harness.

3/21/2018
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If shaking the wiring harness causes it to start its unlikely to be a bad PCM unless there is a loose pin where the wiring harness connects to it.

Next time try gently wiggling the connectors at the pcm and see if that will cause it to start cranking. If so remove the one that causes it and try wiggling each pin individually and see if one is loose. If so you have found your culprit and a PCM replacement will do the trick. It sounds more like a wire shorting to ground or two wires shorting together but that wouldnt make sense if the ENTIRE wiring harness as well as all harnesses and pigtails connected to it were replaced. If I were to make a random guess based on what you are telling me I would guess some sensor or something has a bare wire and when you wiggle it you are causing it to short and unshort one of the 5 volt reference leads on a sensors pigtails. But this is only a guess. I dont have the vehicle to verify that.

If I did I would get it to act up and start unplugging any pigtail that connects to the main harness one by one to see if one makes it come back and once I unplugged one and it restored normal operation I would inspect that ones pigtail and either fix any obvious damage or replace it if I couldnt see the damage(internal) and especially if I could verify with a continuity test what I suspected.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. THank you.

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thanks. I will try that. If I need further information on this matter, can I email back ?
that's fine. I'll leave the question open for you in case you need anything further. Just reply to this same question to avoid a duplicate charge. Thanks
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner