Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I start it I hear about 6 loud clicks from the dash.

When I start it...

When I start it I hear about 6 loud clicks from the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started seems to be just to the right of the radio

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery

3/21/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the clicking noise change when you change the temperature or to panel, floor or defrost settings? If you turn off the climate control does it stop?

It just stops after 5 or 6 clicks only does it when you start it

Ok I suspect you have a actuator for the climate control with the plastic gears worn out and slipping making the clicking noise. The best way is to turn the key and on and open glove compartment and see if you can pinpoint the exact location. Have you tried locating the clicking actuator?

No not yet

Does your truck have electronic manual control or the duel controls?

Manual

Here is a popular one we replace. Click here Open the glove compartment and see if you can feel this one clicking when the key is turned on, you may need a stethoscope.

Is this something you are going to fix yourself?

No

O​k, I was going to say these are tight fitting, I have done a bunch and I always get frustrated, there is no room in there. That one is the most common one we replace and there and several in there.

you think it's one of those
What will happen if it goes completely

Without being there myself and verifying it, I am about 99 percent sure one of those actuators is stripped. If it completely stops, you will lose heat or cool modes or possibly air control mode. If you have any further questions, just ask, when you are finished all I ask is you rate my service tonight, as this is how I am paid for my time, thanks Scott

You can always ask follow up questions after rating.

Thank you

Does this answer your questions tonight?

thanks

Thank you for your business! Like I said, this question will remain open for follow up questions after rating just in case something comes up, thanks again, Scott

Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started