Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Exhaust fluid system fault. And code P04e3. My def is full.

Customer Question
Exhaust fluid system fault...

Exhaust fluid system fault. And code P04e3. My def is full

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

15k 2016 6.7 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 Ford?

F250 platinum

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes trying to. I had it deleted. I returned back to stock to trade in for an 18 f250

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have Ezlynk still that can be hooked up. That’s how I got P04e3

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
3/21/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you trying to correct the Code P04E3 on your 6.7?

Truck won’t drive. Well 2mph maybe.

Is this the only code your getting?

The common cause for this code to set is in most cases due to a failing Crankcase Ventilation Control Valve. You can test it by clearing the fault code and then cycle the key on and unplug the control valve and jumper the two wire at the connector together. If the new code P04E2 resets then the control valve is the cause. See its location in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kup7jtb0xonrk2j/Crank%20valve%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

Other then exhaust system fluid fault

I’ll go try.
Does that have anything to do with the exhaust system

No It will not affect the exhaust system at all.

Lets deal with the fault code first and see if we can get it resolved.

The exhaust is why it won’t drive I think

Well, lets see if you can get this code resolved and then see if it will then drive. since this is the only code it needs to be addressed first.

Can’t find it. Behind alternator. How many wires

Its a two wire connector and it should be right where its shown in the diagram I posted for you.

Ok. I think it’s right by water inlet I unplug it. Two wire

Yes just above the alternator as well. One connector and 2 wires.

I think that was engine coolant sensor

Look at the diagram again, if you enlarge it you will get a better view of the location.

I have. Does it go into the engine block. There’s one other one but three wires.
I don’t see anything else

It goes into the crankcase ventilation system. This is the only picture Ford offers and it should be right where its shown.

There’s a sensor wire going into inter cooler pipe

Okay I just took a look at the connector and its has 3 wires. See the link below. I have marked the wires that you need to jump.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdypjav1p1ci2b5/Connector%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

K I’m on it.

No hurry. Compare the connector with the one you have to be sure you get the right one.

That’s the only one around with three wires. Black
Hard to get to

That should be it.

K got it jumped

Okay now clear the old code and cycle the key and see if the new code P04E2 resets. If it dose then you are going to need to replace the sensor.

Got same code E3 And p0192

I show no listing for a P0192 code on the 6.7. I have to wonder if you have the right connector. Hard to tell from here. Be sure you install the jumper first and then clear the code , once the code is cleared then cycle the key on and then recheck the code.

P0193 code.

I have no listing for a code P0193 as well.

I really don’t care about this code. I need exhaust fluid problems fixed so i can drive it.

Are you getting good flow out of the exhaust?

I dont know. I took if off in January and put back on Saturday. Only 15k miles on truck

Okay, so what makes you think you have an exhaust problem?

Engine idled -see manual
Exhaust fluid system fault. On dash.
Truck won’t move

Well without knowing the actual fault code I can not provide a fix. I can open this back up for you and perhaps someone else will have something to add.

Ok. I deleted it then put everything back on. Now problems. Post to trade it Thursday with an out of town dealer.
Sucks it won’t move

Well, I'm out of ideas on this one. Ill open it back up for you. Unless the exhaust is totally restricted it should not keep the truck from moving.

K thanks. It’s new really.
Ford Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 3 months ago
Cary York
Phone call session started
Hey Ron.
Can you credit me back the $26 to my CC that was for the phone call that we didn't do.
I'm going to put the delete kit back on. The emissions are a joke