Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Ford F550 6.8 Liter V10 Engine Install. Used engine…

2001 Ford F550 6.8 Liter...
2001 Ford F550 6.8 Liter V10 Engine Install.
Used engine install with starting issues.
Replaced matching engines.
Now have starting issues after install.
Engine turns over very slow. Will not start. Stater overheating trying to start engine.
We checked all the ground wires...checks OK
New battery
Checked starter...checks ok
Checked Alternator...checks out 14 volts & 90 amps.Not able to get engine to turn over fast enough to engage and run!
3/20/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The slow craning usually means you have a ground issue, have you made sure that you have a good ground from the battery to the frame and then over to the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you going to be around to answer tomorrow after we double check the ground issues again?
Mechanic will be back at work at 7:30 AM CST

Yes, Im here all day tomorrow, have them recheck all engine grounds, the ground needs to run from the battery to the frame and over to the engine and if any one of these was left off it will cause the starter to drag.

I suspect that is what you have going on here if you are sure the battery is fully charged.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Are you online now?
We checked all the negative cables and even cleaned
the eye-lits and area where contact is made on the engine
and starter.
there is something for sure going on. When we went to crank this time...
we heard a pop and spark from the starter!
New Battery...new starter...plenty of juice in the alternator for sure.I did request a phone call from you when you get a minute!

If you can find the source of the spark I suspect you will find your bad ground. I am not able to call at this time.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
If I understand you correctly...the source of the spark at the starter would be the bad ground? That is where the spark
came from

The spark indicates a loose connection. If your cable at the starter is tight then I would be rechecking the ground that should run from the battery to the frame and from the frame to the engine.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
eric remington
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
V.I.N. 1FDAF56S91EB79065

can I have email address please

so I can send you these thanks

ok all sent thanks for choosing Just Answer

Ron, ASE Certified Technician