Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The 4wd on my 99 ranger xlt 4.0 L will not engaged. I have…

Customer Question
Hello. The 4wd on my 99...
Hello.
The 4wd on my 99 ranger xlt 4.0 L will not engaged. I have changed the motor on the transfer case. Seems like all the lights work as they should when I rotate the knob on the dash to engage.
Any suggestions what I might do next ?
Thanks. TM
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/20/2018
Ford Mechanic: jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Here are the checks you need to make.

Install a hand-held vacuum pump at both locking hubs with the vehicle raised on a lift.

Pull a high vacuum signal (greater than 15") to verify that the hub will pull and hold a vacuum signal.

If the hub will not pull or hold a vacuum, it is leaking and will need to be resealed or replaced.

If the hub holds a vacuum signal, release it after 30 seconds and verify that the wheel is engaged to the axle.

If the hub does not engage the wheel to the axle, there is still a problem with the hub.

If the hub engages the wheel to the axle, pull a 7-9" vacuum signal on the hub for 10-15 seconds and release it. The hub should now have disengaged the wheel from the axle.

To test the 4WD hub lock solenoids, install a vacuum gauge at each of the vacuum lines at the wheel hubs and with the engine running, select 4H. The vacuum gauges at the individual wheels should indicate manifold vacuum for about 30-45 seconds and then release.

Select the 2H, the vacuum gauges should indicate a lower vacuum signal of about 7" for 15-30 seconds and then release.

It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I will have to try that. Unfortunately I am not with the vehicle and we are expecting a good bit of snow, so I will have to wait for the weather to improve a bit. Honestly though, it just seems that the transfer gearbox is not engaging to turn the forward output shaft but I am not the expert.

Ok, let me no what you find, this is a starting point that I like to start with since it is the most common problem.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Good morning.
Things finally dried up here and I had a chance to do some digging, as well as looking into some YouTube and ranger station blogs.
This truck DOES NOT HAVE vacuum operated front hubs. Rather, it has what some have been calling “constant engagement”. I don’t know specifics yet by VIN number but at some point ford started changing to this system late 1999-2000 ish.
From the transfer case, front drive shaft, differential, cv axles then a sealed one piece hub that encases the wheel bearings and the ABS sensor. That hub is splined and the cv axle drives it FULL TIME. The only time four wheel drive is not active is when it not selected by the switch on the dash and the transfer case is NOT ENGAGED. Otherwise, everything up front rotates all the time. There is a control module in the passengers right kick panel.
I have ordered a used transfer case assembly which has the drive motor on it. If that doesn’t fix it, it can only be that module. I don’t think it’s that cause everything seems to work electronically/electrically. It’s my belief something inside the transfer case is not working mechanically when the switch on the dash is selected.\
Do you have any additional thoughts on this ?Thanks
jim
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician