Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2013 f150 with 5.4 engine. replaced water pump and…

I have 2013 f150...

I have 2013 f150 with 5.4 engine. replaced water pump and thermostat twice and upper radiator hose. Cooling fans are running on high. Used scan tool no codes are shown, temp on gauge shows normal, scan tool shows temp at 225, heat gun shows top hose at 117 and top of eng at 122. Why are fans running on high. Everything was fine before changing water pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

Yes after eng burped add some more. It is at full mark

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a dealer he thought Radiator was plugged, took to radiator shop they it was ok that problem was elec. Replaced sending unit on back side of right head but that did not help.

3/20/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

can you verify the engine size?? 54. is not listed for 2013

Roy

5.4
Is this a scam?
I 'm going to cancel this program
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This isnt a scam.I agree with Roy above though.I am not showing a 5.4 liter engine for a 2012 Ford F150 vehicle in the USA.Is it possibly a different year model vehicle?I would like to see if I can help here I just want to make sure we are working on the right year and model vehicle as well as engine liter size.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Truck is 2013 with the big v8. I thought it was 5.4 flex fuel

No problem thank you for the info that does help.I will go with the 6.2 liter engine as it is the Big V8 offered in your model year and model vehicle.

Does the scan tool show the temp at 225 even on a cold start first thing in the morning or first start of the day?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No as eng. warms up temp goes up to 225-226.

Do you know if the cooling system was purged of all air?The reason I ask is you have mentioned this issue didnt start until after the water pump was replaced.

Well we think it has been, that has come into question several times, but I did have to add more coolant after driving. Is there another way other than filling the system and running engine up to temp. top off tank. If it was a older system I would look in the radiator and watch the flow. How would you purge the system?

I suspect you may just have more air trapped in the system.Some models will trap air for some time and can take some revving up and down of the engine to release the air then allow to cool and fill and repeat.Here is the exact procedure for your model though.I would see if you can get any more air out of it to correct this issue here.The only other thing I see is a wiring fault leading from the coolant temp sensor to the computer as it feeds direct to the computer so this may need checked as well.

1.Fill the radiator through the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the COOLANT FILL LEVEL marks.

2. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at A/C vents in instrument panel.

3. Start the engine and allow to idle. While engine is idling, feel for hot air at A/C vents.

4. NOTICE: If the air discharge remains cool and the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow the engine to cool and fill cooling system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the engine.
Start the engine and allow it to idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from A/C vents. The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range. The upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.

5. Shut the engine off and allow the engine to cool.

6. Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill as necessary.

7. Repeat the previous 4 steps as necessary.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

We have hot air coming out of the vents, the gauge is straight up and down, have replaced fan switch on back side of right head. Scan tool shows 225, temp gun shows 150 on top hose, radiator is cool to touch. We have disconnected battery and have reconnected but have not been able to drive at this time. Have been thinking about AC pressure switch but we don't have gauges to check. Could we have possibly engine pressure leaking into cooling? there is no puking and the tank is normal level so I have ruled that out. Kind a groping for answer. Has to be related to water pump or thermostat, I have read someone else had this problem but he never released what he found wrong.
We have had this problem for two weeks now. Getting old.

If it shows 225 on the scan tools data list but your only getting 150 on top of the upper hose and radiator is cool this sounds more to me like a fault with the thermostat being stuck.If the thermostat is not opening at all you will show cool temps at the top hose and radiator but hot at the temp sensor.This was common to cause this fault.

Usually if it was exhaust or engine pressure leaking into the cooling system past the head or head gasket you would over flow coolant and the radiator and upper hose would be hot.This does sound to me like the thermostat it stuck closed needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
We are going to replace the thermostat again. We have been using O Riley's brand but this time will use Ford. Also I have been telling you the engine was 5.4 I was wrong it is 5.0, sorry. Just can not believe two bad thermostat. Can not get thermostat until tomorrow. I will answer your questioner after that, but you have said what we have been questioning ourselves. We even questioned if we were getting the correct one, we will see. Thanks for now.

Your welcome

If the replacement thermostat does not resolve the issue let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete this John Crawford. I wanted you to know we replaced the complete thermostat and housing as it comes from Ford. Everything is working as it should.

That is great to hear.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete